Cabo san Lucas in February - what should I expect?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TJcop

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'll be heading to Cabo san Lucas in late February 2008 and plan to do some diving. I've read that I'll need my cold water wetsuit to dive there during that time of year. I've also read that, while there might not be any corals, there are lost of large animals migrating through the area.

My questions are: What should I expect for conditions? What should I expect to see/do? and, Any operators you would suggest?

Thanks!!! :D

Anyone???

I've now read that the Sea of Cortez actually has some nice corals, and LOTS of fish. How far are these dive sites from the Cabo resort area (staying at Riu Palace)?

dannobee:
You'll need a 7mm wetsuit and a hooded vest, or a drysuit. The water temp when I was there in February was 58 degrees. Fortunately, I brought all of my cold water gear.

I used Amigos Del Mar and wouldn't hesitate to use them again.
I assume that's for diving more towards the Pacific side? If I go to the Cortez side, is that more tropical?

Thanks everyone!

I went to Cabo in June a few years ago and the water was still only high 60s -low 70s and personally I thought the diving was just okay. Most of the dive sites are very close and I don't recall if they were on the Pacific side or Sea of Cortez side. I think most of it was on the Sea of Cortez side though. I dove with Underwater Diversions (www.divecabo.com) and they were great. However, that was several years ago and there was a recent trip report that suggests otherwise.

From Cabo San Lucas it's a full day trip to get up some of the more northly sites such as Cabo Pulmos. I did a day trip and it was definitely worth it.

Overall, for me Cabo was a great vacation place in terms of topside activities (great restaurants, bars, etc.) but not the best diving. Good luck with planning your trip.

Victor

See my recent trip report....

But, February is their bad diving season. The water will be cold, but the site are not that deep. There are 4 main diving site which are all right next to each other and not more than a 5 minute ride from the dock: Pelican's Rock, Neptune's Finger, North Wall, and Lands End.

The ONLY coral reef around is in Cabo Pulma, a 2 hour ride away. The cabo diving is best described as diving on underwater rock formations where the marine life centers around. Don't expect Carribean diving.

Also, although February is not their best diving season, it is in their busy month, so you may expect more crowds and higher lodging prices

I stayed at the Riu in cabo in late June, do not dive with their on site op. It was cold then, I brought a 5 mil and tropical hood. I was ok but do not chill easily. The diving was pretty good but not great.

you will be surprised by cabo, feb is a cooler month but not the coldest. a full length 5mm will do the job. there are some species of hard corals in local waters, but the big surprise is the amount of fish, and variety. there are over 150 species and lots of them. the diving is right out in front of the main bay, the 2 tanks certified are in the morning and back by noon., then if you plan cabo pulmo, give some notice ahead as groups usually of min 4 are required, not hard to find, as this is the best diving..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom