Cabo San Lucas ~ Have you been? Help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Norboo

Registered
Reaction score
For those of you that has been to Cabo San Lucas, any suggestions on…

I plan on going Mid Oct. of this year.

Hotels (near everything, beach front if possible)
Must see
Must do
Which scuba diving companies are reputable and where to dive
Which golf courses are worth playing
Which fishing charter
Where to hang out
Misc

Thanks

I was in Cabo August 2003

I did a ton of research and here is what I found was right for me.

Hotel: Hacienda Hotel (not the Sheraton Hacienda)
Stayed in the Beach Cabana room & loved it!

Must See: Lovers/Divorce Beach
The Arch - just a little farther south from Lovers Beach.
The Sea Lions, on their rock. Right near the arch.
You can do all 3 of these on a single kayak trip, from the Hacienda.

Must Do: Cabo Wabo. Sammy Hagars bar
Eat at the Crazy Lobster - great food at cheap prices.

Dive Op: Used Cabo Acudeportes at the Hacienda.
We dove Pelican Rock 2x, Lands End/The Point & North Wall.

Don't fish or golf, so no useful ideas for you.

Hang Out: There are 3 restaurants down the beach from the Hacienda.
One is The Office. Can't remember the other 2, but they are next door.
We saw their tiki lights, walked down there & were hooked.
Ate & drank there alot.
Cabo Wabo. Great music dancing & drinking. Sammy if your lucky.

I know everybody says this, but... do a search here & you will find a ton of info on Cabo. There has been alot posted about it recently.

I forgot to mention timeshare. OMG! they are the most aggressive I have seen in all of Mexico / Caribbean. Some T-shirt stores are really fronts for timeshare. So you need to be alert. What worked really well for the street venors/timeshare is to tell them you are leaving tomorrow. At the airport I couldn't get transportation until I talked to the timeshare guy.
If timeshare is something your interested in, your in the right place. Otherwise - beware.

For those of you that has been to Cabo San Lucas, any suggestions on…

I plan on going Mid Oct. of this year.

Hotels- Solmar is within walking distance of Cabo (10 mins or less) but is quiet, also Gold Crown but not real expensive because it is an older resort.
Must see - Los Arcos, Lover's Beach
Must do - ATV riding on the beach and kayaking from Medano beach
Which scuba diving companies are reputable - Amigos del Mar is the company I always use - comfortable boats, safety conscious and good DMs.
and where to dive - Cabo Pulmo!!!
Which golf courses are worth playing - loved the El Dorado the most and the Cabo del Sol is second choice
Which fishing charter - not sure
Where to hang out - Giggling Marlin has the coolest show around 9 or 10pm - don't miss it.
:dazzler1: have fun

Mid October is around the billfishing tournament. If you hit that time, you may have a hard time getting a room. That said, I don't think the billfishing crowd parties quite as late as the college crowd.

We personally preferred not being in town. The new Pueblo Bonito resort on the Pacific is *VERY* nice, with a free bus shuttle into town, and everything there is Ocean View. Otherwise, everything on Medano beach is just fine. Watch some of the older resorts; they don't have all sea views.

If you're renting a car, any of the resorts along the corridor are fine (not to mention upscale). The Ventanas al Paradiso (next to the Hilton & Melia) is supposedly the most upscale of them all.

I very much recommend the Moon handbook to Cabo, and Judy Chaikin & Ida Wool's restaurant guide (http://www.loscabosrestaurantguide.com/). (You can even see my "to die for" dessert recommendation)

Check out my trip report here:

http://www.scubaboard.com/t68097-.html

The Westin is supposed to have an awesome golf course, but we don't play - we did use our free round of putt-putt, it was hard! Supposedly the putt-putt course was designed by the same person as the "real" golf course.

HDTran gave us wonderful advice, thanks again!

cowprintrabbit:
we did use our free round of putt-putt, it was hard! Supposedly the putt-putt course was designed by the same person as the "real" golf course.

I've got to agree with you on that one! That was one of the more challenging putt-putt type courses I've ever played (and I've played a lot).

cancun mark:
The westin has an awesome everything. Stunning location.

except you can't swim on the beach - but I'm not a beach type, I prefer to be under the water or in the shade :D

cowprintrabbit:
except you can't swim on the beach - but I'm not a beach type, I prefer to be under the water or in the shade :D

Just got back! Will provide trip report later. Westin, swam at the beach, with everybody else, got lucky with the weather I guess.
Did 6 dives, great vis, and Gordo banks is cool, too bad no Hammers.

David

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom