Trip Report Disappointed by the Cabo Dive Experience

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ssssnake529

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Wrapping up a trip to Cabo San Lucas.

Did a couple of days of diving.

First day, we dived at Pelican Rock and Land's End.
Both were very crowded. Must have been at least 20-30 boats in a very small area. Boats constantly criss-crossing above us during the dive. Tons of other divers in the water all around. Visibility was poor, water filled with sand and grit.

Saw some fish and a "sand waterfall." Nothing too exciting.

Second day, we went further out, to a place called Whale Head. Nobody else around. Visibility was decent. Saw a bunch of rays of various types, including a big school of eagle rays that stayed with us for a while. Overall, a good dive.

After this, our guide checked his texts and told us that his compatriots were reporting that Land's End was "amazing." We went back to Land's End. I thought that Land's End had been crowded when we went there before. It was significantly more crowded the second time. I would say it was "amazingly" crowded.

So many boats it was difficult to even get our group of 4 into the water safely. Total cluster F. Visibility was really bad. Groups of divers everywhere. Didn't see much of anything. Getting back into the boat was challenging. So many boats in such a small space that we were constantly in the way of oncoming boats. Finally, the captain had us hang on to a rope and towed us out to sea to get away from all the traffic. Easily my least enjoyable dive so far.

All of our dives were short. I'm a serious air hog, and was back on the boat with 1300+psi. Each of our dives was about a half hour long.

Is this what Cabo diving is like? Were we doing it wrong?
I guess if I had to go back (which I likely won't) I would skip the close in spots entirely, and just go somewhere with fewer people (like the one Whale's Head dive site.)

Anyone out there who had a great experience diving Cabo? What dive sites did you go to? What was it like?

Thanks for the report. Sorry you had a bad experience. Was this a dedicated dive trip or did you travel for other reasons and happened to have some time to dive? Who was your dive operator?

My first time to CSL was with a group. We dived locally, but we also went to Cabo Pulmo and Gordo Banks for day trips. Based on that trip, I wouldn't make it a destination trip. I've now been to CSL a few more times as a starting point for a Nautilus liveaboard. I arrive a couple of days early, get in some diving, then start the liveaboard. Land's End is overcrowded all the time. I had the same experience. It was silted out, and boat motors right above your head. It's a sh** show. The next time I'm there I'll ask not to go that site. I think the operators use it because it's so close and easy. It's also a very popular snorkeling spot.

Was this a dedicated dive trip or did you travel for other reasons and happened to have some time to dive? Who was your dive operator?
We were on vacation with some (non-diving) family. Not really a dedicated dive trip. Only two days of diving in a week at Cabo.

Dive operator was Manta.

First day, we dived at Pelican Rock and Land's End.
Both were very crowded. Must have been at least 20-30 boats in a very small area. Boats constantly criss-crossing above us during the dive. Tons of other divers in the water all around. Visibility was poor, water filled with sand and grit.
Land's End is overcrowded all the time. I had the same experience. It was silted out, and boat motors right above your head. It's a sh** show.
Similar experience prior to our Socorro trip on the Belle Amie. Party boats everywhere, so it’s an accident waiting to happen.

Similar experience prior to our Socorro trip on the Belle Amie. Party boats everywhere, so it’s an accident waiting to happen.
OK Eric- I wish I had read this and @living4experiences posts sooner. I am doing Socorro on the Belle Amie in April. I just went online and booked a 2 tank dive through the Nautilus website and dive shop for the morning before we board the boat. I was just hoping to get my weighting dialed in a bit as I will have a new wetsuit setup. I assumed the diving wouldn't be stellar, but wasn't expecting a big cluster. I think I will cancel the dives now. I'll sort out the weighting on the first dive in Socorro.

This. We did Pelican Rock as our free warm up dive before boarding the Belle Amie and my log reflects the same stuff posted upthread. Cool sand waterfall thing but tons of rando boats everywhere and a massive CF on the surface. Not worth doing, IMO. I would have skipped it but brought a brand new wetsuit with me and wanted to dial in my weighting. If I had a do over I'd do what @Trailboss123 is planning and just dial it in in Socorro. IMHO, it will be way easier to fiddle with your weighting alongside the rib with nobody around than trying to mess with it on the surface in Cabo if the sites they go to are anything like Pelican Rock.

We were on vacation with some (non-diving) family. Not really a dedicated dive trip. Only two days of diving in a week at Cabo.

Dive operator was Manta.
Similar experience here. I was down there for a work conference about 15 years ago, and my wife and I decided to get in a few days of diving. Actually, she used it as an opportunity to do her Advanced course while I was at the conference. Anyway, you describe it much as we remember it: a bit of a cluster****, and the diving itself wasn't all that special. But knowing we were diving at ground zero of the most touristed bit of the cape region, we had low expectations to begin with.

I am sorry to hear about the poor experiences several have had in Cabo San Lucas and very sorry to hear of the recent injury to the diver who was struck by a boat.

I visited Cabo San Lucas in May 2019 prior to a week on the Nautilus Explorer in the Revillagigedos. I had 3 days and planned to dive the Cabo San Lucas Marine Park, the Corridor, and Gordo Banks. Unfortunately, wind and seas were up and I was only able to dive the Cabo San Lucas Marine Park, could not even dive Land's End.

Perhaps it was due to the time of year or the sea conditions, but it was not crowded on the water for my visit. I did not see another dive group underwater. The water was cool, visibility was moderate, but the sea life was good. Trip Report - Cabo San Lucas: See Creatures, Tesoro Hotel, May 21-24, 2019

A return trip to the Revillagigedos is on my list, I may rethink diving in Cabo San Lucas or may attempt to get out to the Corridor and Gordo Banks again.

I am sorry to hear about the poor experiences several have had in Cabo San Lucas and very sorry to hear of the recent injury to the diver who was struck by a boat.

I visited Cabo San Lucas in May 2019 prior to a week on the Nautilus Explorer in the Revillagigedos. I had 3 days and planned to dive the Cabo San Lucas Marine Park, the Corridor, and Gordo Banks. Unfortunately, wind and seas were up and I was only able to dive the Cabo San Lucas Marine Park, could not even dive Land's End.

Perhaps it was due to the time of year or the sea conditions, but it was not crowded on the water for my visit. I did not see another dive group underwater. The water was cool, visibility was moderate, but the sea life was good. Trip Report - Cabo San Lucas: See Creatures, Tesoro Hotel, May 21-24, 2019

A return trip to the Revillagigedos is on my list, I may rethink diving in Cabo San Lucas or may attempt to get out to the Corridor and Gordo Banks again.
We've been to Cabo San Lucas three times, and just as your experience, ours has been very enjoyable with no concerns about interference from other boats (and also like you, never seeing any divers other than those on our boat).

The structure is different than that experienced in the Caribbean, along with the fish life, but we enjoy it for those reasons.

Maybe it is the time of year (first two trips in mid to late November, this past one in late October), but we have never had an issue with visibility, and frequently see something unique on each dive.

The first two trips, our first day was Pelican Rock and Land's End, our trip this past October, the first day was Pelican Rock and Neptune's Finger, as the surge around Land's End was too much for the Manta Scuba's crew to risk.

We've also done the Corridor on all three trips, with a side trip to La Paz on the first trip, and a side trip to Cabo Pulmo the second.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom