Cabo San Lucas and Sea of Cortez

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jcsgt

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm heading down to Cabo San Lucas, this September, to do some diving in the Sea of Cortez. My past diving experience has been mainly in the Caribbean and various places off of Florida from Miami South to Key Largo. Can anybody advise what I might expect as far as diving conditions down there, since this will be my first experience, or any other tips for that area?

Thanks!

I am dying to go to Loreto, pretty north of there. supposedly fantastic for diving with whales. Read Parabolic's posts, I think he has some great photos on his website.

I dove Cabo, near the arches, just rented an inflatable and went out, and the first dive was stellar---many fish, great viz, came back a few hours later and the viz was gone. they call it "God's fish sieve" because I guess the fish go in and don't leave as readily because of the nature of the inlet. (Sea Of Cortez). I don't really know much, but I liked it. At the time, I remember thinking it was underrated and much better than I had heard.

Pretty good diving in my opinion, plus close for me. Gordo Banks is a sea mount at 110 ft down, great blue water dive with plenty of schooling Tuna and Jacks, if you're lucky, Hammerheads. Cabo Pulma is a day trip dive out of CSL and is a Marine Sanctuary and reef that is an easy drift dive with plenty of fish and flora. September is great for water temp, 3 mil is about all you'll need. Underwater Diversion or Amigo del Mar are two great dive ops, with UD a little ahead for boat comfort.
Cabo is a unique place being a desert climate with the sea. Have fun diving there, I do!

We're going with Manta Divers; I've heard a lot of good things about their operation. We're signed up to go up to Cabo Pulmo--looks like a great dive! I'm not sure about Gordo Banks. It may be beyond my (and my dive buddy's) capabilities. We may have to work up to that. Most of the diving we have done has been relatively tame. We have done some of the more advanced wrecks (Duane, Spiegel Grove, etc.) off Key Largo and some of the more difficult, deeper dives in Coz (if you can call any diving down there difficult), but that's pretty much the extent of it. What do you think the major differences between Caribbean/Florida diving and Gordo Banks?

Thanks, guys, for your advice.

I'm looking for a good liveaboard in the Sea of Cortez. If I fly down there from Wyoming I want to stay at least a week and would rather pay one price and just dive all week.

Anyone with info ??

'Slogger

Diving in the Sea of Cortez can be great. I have never been in September, but late summer-early fall are supposed to be good times to go. When I was there in Nov. I say lots of life, good vis and 80 degree water.

What are the general differences, besides the hard corals, between Caribbean and Sea of Cortez diving?

Hi Catherine,
You may want to dive La Paz also. The Cortez Club is good, but expensive www.cortezclub.com
Also Club Cantamar.
Valerie

Hi,
You will see larger pelagics,
Pacific Giant mantas, perhaps whalesharks, hammerheads, sea turtles and lots of fish.
eels, as wells as starfish, nuibrachs etc. September can be wet and sea rough, but then again, you may have great conditions. The vis is not as good as the Caribbean, but still excellent diving
If you get a chance also dive La Paz.
Valerie

Jcsgt:
What are the general differences, besides the hard corals, between Caribbean and Sea of Cortez diving?

Hi, Jcsgt,

I'm sure you've already checked the main Mexico forum, but...

In September, the water is significantly warmer than it is in April. You can get away with a skin, a shorty, or no exposure protection if you like.

There is a possibility of Pacific tropical storms/depressions/hurricanes. They rarely get up towards Cabo, but they can make the surf interesting (even in the Sea of Cortez side of the peninsula).

Visibility is typically much higher in the summer/fall than winter/spring.

Fewer "small colorful" fish (such as anthias or damsels) than in the Caribbean.

There are hard corals in Cabo San Lucas. I know a hard coral when I see one, and I saw favites-type corals. But they are not colorful, nor do they have interesting shapes. And in Cabo, they are not nearly big enough to make a reef. Cabo Pulmo, of course, lays claim to the "largest coral reef in some strange location" But lots of beautiful gorgonians in Cabo San Lucas, and orange cup coral (I used to know the latin name, but I forgot).

You may still see seahorses (I did!)

Check out my photo gallery for a selection of photos taken in May/June 2005 in Cabo & environs. If I remembered how to provide a direct link, I would, but my memory is going away on me...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom