Cabo Pulmo/La Paz

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

socalsurfdiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Im looking to plan a dive trip in mid August. I have heard good things about Cabo Pulmo. Were looking to dive three days so I though we would split it up and also do some diving in la paz Looking to hear from people who have been in August. How Is the weather? Viz? Should we do One in CP and two In La Paz or two In CP and ! in La paz. Any recommendations on resorts? Dive Companies? Thanks in advance

Hello, not been around. Would've answered sooner but hope this can still help!

August is HOT.
It's also hurricane season so keep an eye out for storm watches.

Cabo Pulmo is solar powered so if you stay, you need to look into a place that has a generator (it will be at an extra cost) if you need devices for cool air.
You will not be able to run fans all day long as that will kill the power for the evening. The village community there is very proactive in maintaining green practices.

From last I heard, some businesses are opening up - like Cabo Pulmo Divers, Cabo Pulmo Sport Center, and others. I usually go with Pilu at Cabo Pulmo Diving.

CP is not close to anywhere and it's a drive across a bumpy dirt road for about an hour. The bumpy part used to take longer but since it's paved it's easier to bear. I usually stay for at least a week or two and I never leave town.
If *IF* the weather gets stormy, watch out. The road in *will* get flooded and you might be doing some in-river driving (hopefully not floating). Some parts of the road can and have been washed out and completely impassable in previous years unless you've got something BIG!

I am a big CP fan so I would stay there for all the days to dive. Plus, with the limited amount of people diving (my guess), you'll have an open pool for selecting dive sites. During busy season, sites and divers and boats are all limited and popular sites can be closed for several days.

I wish I was going. I cancelled my yearly November trip cuz of Covid things.

Watch the weather ... predictions are currently showing a big tropical storm hitting the Cabo area on Aug 17. I use Windy.com, as it tends to be fairly reliable down here.

Not sure La Paz is open for diving yet (might be, I live in Loreto which is 225 miles north of there). Contact a local source for better info. PM me if you want some personal recommendations.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Watch the weather ... predictions are currently showing a big tropical storm hitting the Cabo area on Aug 17. I use Windy.com, as it tends to be fairly reliable down here.

Not sure La Paz is open for diving yet (might be, I live in Loreto which is 225 miles north of there). Contact a local source for better info. PM me if you want some personal recommendations.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Hurricane Elida

Current forecast appears to suggest that it will stay way offshore and parallel to Baja.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom