Trip Report Cabo Pulmo Beach Resort Trip Review Nov 2017

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

peeweediver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Just back from a week at the Cabo Pulmo Beach Resort. I'll give the usual info, but also need to get into a few specifics. 1 1/2 hour ride from airport to resort over mostly paved, some parts washed out, and a bit of bumpy road. Helpful arrangements from staff to get us to our cottages in the dark.
Resort Accommodations: Nice deluxe cottages, very spacious, easy walk to restaurant, NO Lights at night, so bring a flashlight to walk back and forth from cottage to restaurant/bar. Amazing stars!!
Restaurant: We were on the all-inclusive, so breakfast is buffet, you order lunch from the menu at breakfast and dinner form the menu at lunch...that may have been because were 10 people. The lunch and dinner food is very good though breakfast buffet was average. Restaurant staff were terrific. Very accommodating for the vegetarians in the group.
Dive Center and Diving: Great boat captain and guide. We switched boats for a few days to dive with others in the group.. Gato and Jose were very good boat captains and Marco and Claudio were wonderful guides. We did 2 boat dives in the morning and two in the afternoon. You stay on the boat for the surface interval. Small boats, 6 maximum divers. Seeing the HUGE schools of jacks was an incredible experience. They can blot out the sun and their merging patterns are mesmerizing. Bull sharks on the wreck. Saw a school of mobula rays which was wonderful. Due to conditions, the north sights were the "good" ones. 50 ft viz and mild to mild+ currents. Southern sights, 15 to 20 ft viz and greenish water. Still some interesting dives but not great. Park regulations can close sights leaving just the bad ones available, but what is "bad" changes by day and by season. A week on just 8-10 sites if some are closed can be a bit repetitive, but it seemed all worth it.
Two specifics: 1. Due to the boat size, it is a bit hard to get up on the edge and back roll for us 60+ folks who are less than 6 feet tall. We all figured it out, but in another few years that won't be so easy. Also, getting back in the boat is interesting and hard when swells are 4 feet +. First, you hand up your camera, then each weight pocket, then your BC. You float away from the boat with mask and fins on while each person does this. While you are floating, the crew changes tanks. It is too small of a space for us to be on the boat while they change over tanks. Fine in calm water, harder in swells.
2. Four cottages in our group had money stolen on the one day that was cleaning day. Some had the cottages locked, some not, some had no safes, some had safes, but they did not work. What was stolen was usually half of the cash that was found. Nothing else. Our group embers lost between $145 to $700 per cottage. What was depressing was that the manager and the owner never said one word to us afterwards. They said something to our trip leader but never addressed our group even though they saw us together at meals for days after the theft. Just cowards and quite inexcusable behavior from those two.
So, keep you cottage locked and make sure you have a safe and that it works!!
Very good staff, except at the top, very good food and accommodations (except being robbed) and very good diving when conditions and regulations permit.

Rob

Just back from a week at the Cabo Pulmo Beach Resort. I'll give the usual info, but also need to get into a few specifics. 1 1/2 hour ride from airport to resort over mostly paved, some parts washed out, and a bit of bumpy road. Helpful arrangements from staff to get us to our cottages in the dark.
Resort Accommodations: Nice deluxe cottages, very spacious, easy walk to restaurant, NO Lights at night, so bring a flashlight to walk back and forth from cottage to restaurant/bar. Amazing stars!!
Restaurant: We were on the all-inclusive, so breakfast is buffet, you order lunch from the menu at breakfast and dinner form the menu at lunch...that may have been because were 10 people. The lunch and dinner food is very good though breakfast buffet was average. Restaurant staff were terrific. Very accommodating for the vegetarians in the group.
Dive Center and Diving: Great boat captain and guide. We switched boats for a few days to dive with others in the group.. Gato and Jose were very good boat captains and Marco and Claudio were wonderful guides. We did 2 boat dives in the morning and two in the afternoon. You stay on the boat for the surface interval. Small boats, 6 maximum divers. Seeing the HUGE schools of jacks was an incredible experience. They can blot out the sun and their merging patterns are mesmerizing. Bull sharks on the wreck. Saw a school of mobula rays which was wonderful. Due to conditions, the north sights were the "good" ones. 50 ft viz and mild to mild+ currents. Southern sights, 15 to 20 ft viz and greenish water. Still some interesting dives but not great. Park regulations can close sights leaving just the bad ones available, but what is "bad" changes by day and by season. A week on just 8-10 sites if some are closed can be a bit repetitive, but it seemed all worth it.
Two specifics: 1. Due to the boat size, it is a bit hard to get up on the edge and back roll for us 60+ folks who are less than 6 feet tall. We all figured it out, but in another few years that won't be so easy. Also, getting back in the boat is interesting and hard when swells are 4 feet +. First, you hand up your camera, then each weight pocket, then your BC. You float away from the boat with mask and fins on while each person does this. While you are floating, the crew changes tanks. It is too small of a space for us to be on the boat while they change over tanks. Fine in calm water, harder in swells.
2. Four cottages in our group had money stolen on the one day that was cleaning day. Some had the cottages locked, some not, some had no safes, some had safes, but they did not work. What was stolen was usually half of the cash that was found. Nothing else. Our group embers lost between $145 to $700 per cottage. What was depressing was that the manager and the owner never said one word to us afterwards. They said something to our trip leader but never addressed our group even though they saw us together at meals for days after the theft. Just cowards and quite inexcusable behavior from those two.
So, keep you cottage locked and make sure you have a safe and that it works!!
Very good staff, except at the top, very good food and accommodations (except being robbed) and very good diving when conditions and regulations permit.

Rob
Thanks for taking the time to post your report.

Very interesting report, ticking off some good 'need to know' points of interest.

1.) Cabo Pulmo has made it onto my 'maybe someday' list (not 'probably,' just 'maybe'). Pacific ocean diving in warm water sounds appealing as something different (loved California's Channel Islands, which was cold water diving).

2.) IIRC, it's not a touristy area with a lot of topside entertainments? If so, then the option to do 4 dives/day is quite attractive. If I'm on a dive trip, rather than a trip some some diving, I want more than 2 dives/day.

3.) A 'resort' where you can get meals bundled in as an option simplifies planning, especially if the food's good.

4.) The robbed thing really bites. Did they steal any small electronics? Smart phones, tablets, laptops?

5.) What was there to do topside? Is this a location you'd bring non-diving family, or is it pretty much all about the diving?

6.) Any time limits on the dives?

7.) Somehow I've gotten the impression from reports that Cabo Pulmo is mostly about seeing sizable animals or schools of fish. Is there much reef?

Richard.

drrich2:
Nothing else stolen besides cash and even that was only half of what they found, even if they found it in more than one place. For us, they took half of the stash for dive crew tips and half of the money my spouse had in her purse. There is no place there to get any more cash...no ATMs and no banks. The resort "let" us pay the tips and bar bill with credit card...how accommodating.
Topside is desert with beautiful cactus and mountains. Hiking and mountain biking is done when not too hot. Best time of year for diving is supposedly Oct-Nov, so maybe not too hot for and activity. We did not do that but would have chosen mornings before noon. There is a pool. Town is very tiny with a few shops and maybe 5 restaurants. We did venture out two nights...10 minute walk at most...and these were excellent restaurants. Very safe walking around.
National Marine Park rules: 45 minute dives and must be on the boat with 700 psi remaining. Not good, but it is what it is. No nitrox.
The reefs are more hard coral and rock, but nice sea fans, small fish on the reefs and lots of blennies coming out of their holes on the hard surface. Our drift dives were wonderful looking at the bottom structures. Many narrow "gullies" and crevices.
With a family, maybe 4-5 days is plenty or non-divers would rebel. You could combine with a few days in La Paz as 6 of our our group are still doing that now.

Rob

Looks like the kind of place where no billfold is brought on the trip. Cash and credit cards, drivers license go in a small waterproof box that goes with you on the dive. I do the same with my truck key on Bonaire shore dives. The box is small enough to fit inside the wetsuit.
The only issue remaining is the passport.
Sounds like a place where all the safes are broken on purpose so the staff has sufficient cash flow.

Does the boat drop a floating line for the re-boarding process, allowing you to stay connected to the boat while each diver hands up the weights and BCD?

Yes, float line deployed. It’s not bad just occasional mouthfuls in high swells while waiting after you hand off all your gear.

UPDATE: Our trip leader has indicted that the Cabo Pulmo Beach Resort has offered to make good on half of what we all lost to theft. I think that is a very generous offer and, quite frankly, I would have been totally happy with just a face to face conversation. So, recognition where recognition is due, thumbs up to management.

Rob

Good report - thanks! Brings back memories of seeing a large school of mobula rays in Cabo... flying as one always with the exact same space between them all.... awe-inspiring.

Sorry to hear about your theft. Another reminder it's wise to create & bring a "safe" for valuables that doesn't look like one. As a budget traveler this is always part of my packing list. I've used a Tampax box as well as one of the cans that the bottom screws off. Hairspray looks OK, a "can" of soup or motor oil, not so believable in my suitcase :) Men have different parameters. Passports don't do so well in the cans though, as they have to be slightly bent to fit in. Now I use some clothing and am also working on making my own hollowed out book. One tip I can share - the first day I make a point of meeting my camarista, exchanging names and leaving small daily tips. I appreciate the care these ladies give me and more often than not we hug at the end of my stay. I've never been robbed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom