CABO PULMO 2019 TRIP REPORT, PIX, & VIDEOS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ken Kurtis

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
CAB_4900(LR6).jpg

We just got spent six days exploring the fabulous marine preserve of Cabo Pulmo, which is located roughly halfway between Cabo San Lucas and La Paz on the western side of the Sea of Cortez (eastern side of Baja, Mexico). It's a really fishy place. This was different from our "normal" trips, as you'll read below. Enjoy!!! And let me know if you have question or comments.

CABO PULMO 2019 TRIP REPORT

CABO PULMO 2019 SMUGMUG PIX & SLIDESHOW

CABO PULMO 2019 VIDEO #1 - THE SCHOOLING JACKS OF LOS MORROS

CABO PULMOS 2019 VIDEO #2 - DIVING THE VENCEDOR WRECK

- Ken

Enjoyed your report; very even-handed, the good and the bad. Sounds like a good trip overall. A few thoughts:

1.) Some destinations with simple travel arrangements I book myself; some with more complex arrangements I'd be inclined to use a travel agent. The aggravations and change-ups you encountered make this sound like one of the latter.

2.) I was reading your report earlier on my iPhone 7Plus at a restaurant; the text was tiny. It doesn't reformat so if I zoom a bit for readability, it's wider than my screen. Maybe not many people read your reports this way, but maybe of interest.

3.) So the Mexican camera tax rip-off appears to be an ongoing thing? Good to know.

4.) You identified the logistics issues; a 6 day trip spread over parts of 2 weeks (not a good match for working people taking time off; why do they do it that way?), and a bit of 'stop and go' travel hassles (which isn't what live-aboard trips are generally about).

5.) Since the pelagics are seasonal, what time of year would you want to go on a return trip?

6.) Roughly what did this trip cost the divers for the live-aboard, and if you counted other related expenses (e.g.: a night at a hotel if needed, transportation), roughly what cost without airfare would this? How many dives (and how many of those in Cabo Pulmo) for that?

I ask because some people may weigh this trip option against others in the region, perhaps as a once in a lifetime thing. So, for example, they might consider it against a live-aboard trip to the Socorros. Just trying to get a since of the ins and outs.

Thanks for sharing your detailed experience!

Good report and interesting that you did it on a liveaboard. Part of the attraction of Cabo Pulmo for me is the town and area itself. Nice little restaurants, friendly people (expats and natives), quiet evenings/nights, unlocked doors, drinkable water, beautiful desert environment and a generally slow pace of life. This isn't for everyone of course, but for those who do Cabo Pulmo becomes a second home.

How does the dive count for the same length trip differ between a land vs. live-aboard based Cabo Pulmo trip?

Part of the attraction of Cabo Pulmo for me is the town and area itself. Nice little restaurants, friendly people (expats and natives), quiet evenings/nights, unlocked doors, drinkable water, beautiful desert environment and a generally slow pace of life.

Interesting. When I've read prior trip reports to that region, I'd gotten the impression it was rural/rustic without much going on topside, a place where knowing some Spanish might come in handy though perhaps not mandatory. A place that would be boring to some, peaceful and relaxing to others.

What time of day did you head out and get back from 2-tank trips? Just wondering how long a day it would be for people doing 4 dives/day; in Bonaire that would be no big deal, but in Cozumel it about wiped me out.

Enjoyed your report; very even-handed, the good and the bad. Sounds like a good trip overall. A few thoughts:
1.) Some destinations with simple travel arrangements . . .
2.) I was reading your report earlier on my iPhone 7Plus at a restaurant; the text was tiny.
3.) So the Mexican camera tax rip-off appears to be an ongoing thing?
4.) You identified the logistics issues . . .
5.) Since the pelagics are seasonal, what time of year would you want to go on a return trip?
6.) Roughly what did this trip cost . . .
1. Nowadays with travel, nothing is "simple." My pitch to those who travel with me is that I'll handle all the problems when they occur either before or during the trip. Many times, everything goes smoothly. But when it doesn't, I'm worth my weight in gold. :D
2. Thanks for the info. Not sure how to fix that.
3. Seems to still be in force.
4. Working with them to improve that.
5. Need to investigate. perhaps summertime.
6. Not cheap. I charged $3,350 for this trip which included boat, airport xfers, hotel, and crew tip. Airfare ran around $500-900.

6. Not cheap. I charged $3,350 for this trip which included boat, airport xfers, hotel, and crew tip. Airfare ran around $500-900.

How many dives offered that trip? How many of them in Cabo Pulmo?

The price doesn't look all that bad, considering you included crew tip in the figure. I'm comparing to Caribbean live-aboards, factoring in individual size and overall mass of the creatures you saw, plus the distinctiveness of Pacific ocean species not seen in Florida or the Caribbean, could make your trip appealing to people who've already dove the Florida/Caribbean region looking for something new, with warmer water than California but keeping travel time and total costs reasonable.

In the past few years I've seen growing interest in the Cabo San Lucus/Cabo Pulmo region on this forum, and for those who would find the topside unappealing and just want to dive a lot, finding the live-aboard option is welcome. For others finding this thread, a couple of possible points of interest: Trevor JC's guide at Diving the Baja Sur Cabo San Lucas - San Jose Del Cabo - Cabo Pulmo- La Paz - La Ventana - Diving the Baja Sur Cabo San Lucas – San Jose Del Cabo – Cabo Pulmo – La Paz - La Ventana and Cabo Pulmo/La Paz vs. Socorro Live-aboard.

How many dives offered that trip? How many of them in Cabo Pulmo?
We did 17 overall. 2 "warm-up" diving in Cabo San Lucas, 3 dives in Los Frailes (immediately south of CP) because wind prevented us from getting in Cabo Pulmo, 12 Cabo Pulmo dives (4/day for 3 days - should have been 4/day for 4 days). And remember, because of the logistics, this was 4.5 days of diving.

Interesting. When I've read prior trip reports to that region, I'd gotten the impression it was rural/rustic without much going on topside, a place where knowing some Spanish might come in handy though perhaps not mandatory. A place that would be boring to some, peaceful and relaxing to others.

What time of day did you head out and get back from 2-tank trips? Just wondering how long a day it would be for people doing 4 dives/day; in Bonaire that would be no big deal, but in Cozumel it about wiped me out.

Your first paragraph is correct, with possibly one exception. If you like hiking, snorkeling, sea kayaking or even bouldering there are things to do other than diving. If shopping, entertainment, etc are what you're looking for than you will be disappointed.

We met at the dive shop anytime from 7:00 to 8:30 in the morning depending on the weather forecast (wind primarily). We were back anytime between 11:30 and 1:00 so squeezing in two more dives might be a bit stressful. We have done three with no problems. The boat has to go back to change tanks after the second dive but you don't go ashore. The boat sits just off the beach while the staff change the tanks. There are no moorings or docks in Cabo Pulmo, so everything is done from the beach.

Back
Top Bottom