Cabo - Hotel & car rental input requested

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AlaskaDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
Eagle River, Alaska -> moved to Cape Cod, Mass
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I'm intending to travel to Los Cabos for 3 days of diving in the first week of July. I was interested in staying at the Solmar since it was so inexpensive and was close to the dive Op Amigos Del Mar.

Q1. I was wondering if I should rent a car or not? It seems like I could get a cab to/from the airport and a walk to the Amigos Del Mar dive shop & town. It seems close by.

Q2. I've heard all sorts of horror stories about timeshare sales pitches. I don't have any interest in hearing sales pitches for discounts etc. The Solmar hotel has a buy 3 nights and get the 4th free as well as 3 free dinners. It seemed suspiciously timeshare-esque. I was wondering if there was any sort of obligation to the hotel (if anyone has stayed there before). Essentially I want a clean but inexpensive place that is close to either Amigos Del Mar, Underwater Diversions or Manta Divers. Can anyone advise based on their experiences?

Cabs are plentiful and reasonable at the airport. Unless you plan to visit attractions outside of Cabo, I don't see where you need to rent a car.

The biggest time share assault comes at the airport when you run the gauntlet from customs to the rental car counters. You will be bombarded with offers of free rides to Cabo. Just say "No thank you." and keep walking until you get outside.

I have not stayed Solmar, but I have not experienced any hard pressure time share pitchs once I get to a resort. Again, when they ask, just politely turm them down, and enjoy your next beverage.

Lots of Alaskans go to SolMar. We were there a couple years ago and they never asked us to do a timeshare presentation. If they do just say NO! You might check out the Finisterra and Terra Sol since they are on the same beach and area as Sol Mar. Taxi will cost you lots, I can't remember but it is at least $70, it takes about 40 minutes drive. Maybe try one of the shuttle services like Baja Ground service.
Have fun.

Hello before we bought our timeshare we would stay at Siesta Suites or Mar de Cortez. Rooms were $65.00 a nite Siesta suites is located across the street from the Tesoro Resort where five of the Cabo Dive Shops are located.Mar de Cortez is across the street from Cabo Wabo. Both are in the Center of town so you dont need a car. I have dove with all the shops in town at least once.I like Baja Dive because the service is always the same.Small groups great Dive Masters and they are In theTesoro Resort so its easy drop off my gear after the Dive and go into town for lunch or shopping and the crew has my gear washed and dryed for the next days Dive.You can also get a shuttle to and from the airport for $12.00 A Person.
Good luck in Cabo.

We stayed at Mar de Cortez downtown and it is a cute little place, get a room in the new section as the old section is run down. The pool is tiny, but you can't beat the price.

I forgot to add that the Sol Mar is sold out for timeshares, so IF you decide to do a timeshare presentation it will be for the Playa Grande next door. They never pressured us to do a presentation. They have little kitchens in the rooms which is so nice to have for leftovers at midnight. It's about a five minute walk to the dock from Sol Mar, you can't get lost just follow the side walk and down the hill, Amigos del Mar is at the bottom of the hill. Their boat is kept about 2 minutes walk from the shop to the pier. The best thing is that the boat rides are 5 minutes to the dive sites. The Amigos boats are trimerans and have a head, shade cover, oxygen, fresh water shower, rinse tank, lots of space to stow your gear and a dive platform. Check with the other dive ops as most of them use a panga to dive from which is a bit difficult to get back into and doesn't have a lot of room for your gear, and isn't as comfy for the SIT. (I put a pic of their boat in my photos since I can't figure out how to attach it here.)

We usually rent a car but you really don't need one. Take a shuttle from the airport and then walk around town. Sol Mar is about a 8 to 10 minute walk thru the marina to the downtown area - which means that it is quiet at night. Taxis are 6 to 8 bucks around town to Sol Mar but unless you have lots to carry you can walk it pretty quickly.

If you like seafood check out Mariscoes Mazatlan - it is close to the marlin statue downtown - awesome lobster thermidore at reasonable prices (the locals eat their on special nights). My favourite place is Panchos for mexican and Sol Mar for sunday brunch.
Have fun, I can't wait to go back. Choco

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom