Cabo Airport + Housings Tax - Domestic Arrivals?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ladiver33

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello!
Getting ready for a liveaboard trip in November. Heard from some folks that the dreaded housing tax still pops up from time to time. A new dive friend had a $700 fine this spring. I am lucky enough to have some newer photo gear for this trip. I am considering flying into Mexico City and then fly to Cabo from there. Aside from the wasted time and goofy flight route, it would only be ~$60 more. Definitely seems worth it for the peace of mind.

Curious if anyone had or heard of any experiences of domestic flight arrivals at Cabo. There's no customs screening, so I assume it's almost a non issue but figured I would ask for any personal expierences.

Thanks in advance!

There's an ongoing thread about this which I'm watching as we're going next winter.

It seems rather hit or miss. From what I can tell, it seems to be housings which draw the attention, so I'm considering just wrapping my housing in my clothes and checking it... as worrisome as that sounds. It doesn't sound like camera gear is an issue, but I may just pack bodies and lenses in a regular rolling carry-on, rather than my Pelican case.

Here's the thread:

I just posted in the other thread. The issue with wrapping the housing with clothes and checking it is that if you are unlucky and get the red light, then your stuff goes thru X-ray and a good technician will see it. It might be worth the gamble.....depends on how lucky you are that day with the green-red light Russian roulette.

Yep it's the luck of the draw on wheather or not you get the red or green light. I was red lighted on one trip and directed to another line to be searched. Before both my bags went through the scanner she asked if I had a camera and housing--I had a small SealIfe micro with no housing which I told her. After the bag went through the scanner she opened my checked bag and went right to the camera and pulled it out and then searched the rest of the bag and my carry-on. Two others on my live aboard were also red lighted and had large cameras and housings and ended up paying a hefty tax on the perceived value.

Back
Top Bottom