ATTENTION UW PHOTOGRAPHERS:

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you review the thread, you'll note that the camera housing tax thing has been an issue at two airports in Baja California Sur. The tax hasn't really been an issue at other Mexican entry points.

Friend who did a liveaboard trip from Cabo last spring (2021) told me that officials were still taxing underwater housings. He avoided the tax by producing a receipt from a previous trip.

I visited with a representative from a liveaboard company operating out of Cabo this past summer and she confirmed that the camera housing tax thing was still an issue.

Good luck with the creepy customs officials and enjoy your trip!

-AZTinman

Wondering if anyone has traveled to Cabo recently and has any information on if they are still taxing cameras and housings.

Per the latest Undercurrent issue for October 2019:
If you travel to Baja California with lots of camera gear, you better have a pocketful of cash. Mexican Customs and Immigration officials are slamming divers with a tax on their photo gear when they pass through Los Cabos Airport Customs, and most likely elsewhere.
The article states that there is a 60% percent tax on all camera gear and drones.
I've heard from very reputable sources that it is 60% of retail. They look up the price on backscatter. Take your camera gear out of the Pelican case and put it in a suitcase

Socorro trip April 14th. I had no problem with camera equipment. Nor did I hear of anyone else on my boat having any issues. Nautilus gave us information sheets in Spanish explaining that a camera housing is an accessory, not another camera. Apparently they don't tax accessories. I did bring only one camera body. I don't use any baggage that has dive equipment manufacturers' logos or have a Pelican hard case.

Has anyone had a negative experience in 2022? Just got back from Cabo Pulmo in Mayo without an issue, as the last 5 trips in two years.

I’m scheduled for Cabo in a few months. Does anyone have information on whether they are still imposing a tax on underwater camera housings?

Thanks

Rolled through in December without an issue. Going back in October with all gear.
May I ask what photo gear you were carrying and how it was packed?

I arrived yesterday in Cabo. In my opinion, the tax is very much still in place but it varies according to which agent you go to at the green/red light booth.

Within our group of 3, two were asked if we had housings....the keyword apparently being housing. I explained that all I had was a Gopro.

The third person was simply asked whether she had anything to declare. No mention of housing.

But I got the red light; therefore, all my bags were run thru X-ray and my backpack was flagged for further examination. And hereagain, the key question was whether I had a housing. But they are apparently looking for the $$$$ housings, not for the Gopro or other lesser housings.

May I ask what photo gear you were carrying and how it was packed?

Fantasea, A6500, Inon Strobes, Paralenz, and all the other crap. Packed in carry over the shoulder Patagonia. The next time I will be rolling with Tenba, Marelux, R5, Inon Strobes, etc. The only time I have been nailed was when I was muleing boat parts for my buddy, had a corrected invoice, paid $20.00 after negotiations. I do speak passable Spanish and asked for the boss, and that sped things up.

Back
Top Bottom