Cabilao: Polaris or La Estrella?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jigo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Guys, i know the merits have been discussed in previous threads but I just want a clearer picture from those who have been there or are planning to go there. why did you choose one over the other?

so far, it seems to be a toss up between the amenities and 24hr electricity of Polaris and its competent diveshop versus the keen eye of the legendary Bobet in La Estrella which has power in its rooms from 6pm-12mn only.

am going late february and will have to book in one of the two resorts soon. thanks!

Why did I choose La Estrella? That one is easy... Polaris was full up when I went...

Yes, the power thing is a bit annoying and the room fan stops in the middle of the nite... And the food was OK... Menu is geared twds Europeans (read bland)...

The accomodations and overall resort at Polaris did look nicer but Bobet and some of the other local guides at La Estrella are great spotters.

judging by the way bookings were for early march when the trip Chip, Larry and I are doing, I'd ay you will be choosing based on who actually can fit you in, rather than any sort of decision based on other peoples experiences...

Having said that, I thought Polaris was great - good dive shop, swimming pool, boat bar with a great view, hammocks near the bar(!!! :D :D :D), 24hr elec, pool table, good food (go with the local foods), and I thought the guides were good spotters, though Jericho was particularly good (Trained by Bobet). Though, apparently, even he admits Bobet is better... So..

Z...

what ever resort you pick you need to dive Lighthouse in the morning, afternoon and night.

and Gorgonian site

and Sanctuary

and Two Trees (or it is fallen tree?)...

All great sites. Just take your time and look closely...

what ever resort you pick you need to dive Lighthouse in the morning, afternoon and night.

ditto. i got the 2 polaris dms drunk and they do admit bobet is a lot better than they are. resort looks and power - polaris. my wife liked the place. if not for an upcoming trip elsewhere i'd be joining the group late feb as well.

but i will go back to bohol this year. :)

thanks for the response everyone. i guess it all boils down to whether i can live with la estrella's limited power or convince myself that i can have equally target-rich dives with jericho. am leaning towards polaris since sleeping with an electric fan and mosquito net is not so appealing. more so if the fan is only up to midnight. there's also the problem of charging batteries if power is not available all day.

wow, so many recommended sites and only a few diving days!

thanks for the response everyone. i guess it all boils down to whether i can live with la estrella's limited power or convince myself that i can have equally target-rich dives with jericho. am leaning towards polaris since sleeping with an electric fan and mosquito net is not so appealing. more so if the fan is only up to midnight. there's also the problem of charging batteries if power is not available all day.

get as many dives as you can. you'll love the place.

am sure i will. so... how many hours of surface time do i need before i can fly? 24, 12 or 9? :eyebrow:

It looked like La Estrella scheduled in 4 dives including night dive each day while I was staying at Polaris they were only scheduling 3 dives including the night dive. If you are with a group that fills a boat I'm sure you could set your own dive schedule but I was by myself.

Back
Top Bottom