Cab stop and shop after airport pick up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I knew I could count on you guys to come up with some solutions to my dilemma! I am mulling over all suggestions. Normally the trip into town for dinner is not a big deal. However after traveling, I would like to unwind and prepare for diving the next day. Usually I love flying Southwest Airlines, but couldn't get a reasonable fare for this vacation. Grateful it didn't work out! Crossing fingers that AA won't do the same thing.

They may not want to take their luggage shopping.
Mega does have a free parcel check, or they did, pre-COVID.

Your luggage can get to ride the escalator, but not go shopping. Plus, you'll have a handy way to carry your purchases (no more disposable plastic bags, right?).

Mega does have a free parcel check, or they did, pre-COVID.
Yes, it's still there. I have to leave my backpack with them when I visit, but they're not going to check my 2-50# bags and my 40# rollon. It might work for morecowbells since he's not checking much if any and walking out of the airport, maybe.
Plus, you'll have a handy way to carry your purchases (no more disposable plastic bags, right?).
Disposable bags are not allowed on the island anymore, but who leaves room in their luggage for groceries? Take your own reusable bags or buy them there.

Since Residencias Reef is over 8 miles from Mega, I can see why MoreCBs would like to shop on the way to RR. I am not the trusting type, but I'd bet that his luggage would be safe in the taxi's trunk. I would take photos of the driver and the cab number.

Unbelievably excited about visiting Cozumel next week! Our flight arrives before noon. We are staying at Residencias Reef and are not renting a car. Because we will probably be in zombie mode after getting up at 3 am for flight, I am thinking we will not want to take a cab ride back into town for groceries. I am familiar with getting a cab outside of the airport, but we always go straight to condo. I am looking into requesting our cab driver stop at Mega were we can do some grocery shopping before checking into condo. Can anybody advise me on how to make this request? Obviously, I would pay more for that service, but have no idea of how much. Thanks in advance for any tips or experiences.
Unless you will be making the 200 yard hike out to the street with your luggage, you will be taking the airport shuttle to your hotel and you won't be able to get the shuttle to stop for groceries.

Here is what I would do:

go back and find a thread here about hiring a dedicated taxi and get the contact info for a scubaboard trusted taxi driver. Then install whatsapp and contact to see if the driver can accommodate you.

I would bet that 98% of taxi drivers are trustworthy and those who are well known to members on SB even more so.

Then follow your plan.
Have a fun trip
Jerry

Unless you will be making the 200 yard hike out to the street with your luggage, you will be taking the airport shuttle to your hotel and you won't be able to get the shuttle to stop for groceries.
Then tell them your hotel is Hotel Barracuda which is directly across the street from Mega.

Yes, it's still there. I have to leave my backpack with them when I visit, but they're not going to check my 2-50# bags and my 40# rollon. It might work for morecowbells since he's not checking much if any and walking out of the airport, maybe.

Disposable bags are not allowed on the island anymore, but who leaves room in their luggage for groceries? Take your own reusable bags or buy them there.

Since Residencias Reef is over 8 miles from Mega, I can see why MoreCBs would like to shop on the way to RR. I am not the trusting type, but I'd bet that his luggage would be safe in the taxi's trunk. I would take photos of the driver and the cab number.
Actually Mega was happy to check my rolling checked bag when I used it empty to go get groceries in May.
Instead of putting it in the cubbyhole behind the counter they just roll it into the area and give you a checked bag ticket.

I think the best solution is take a taxi or shuttle to Mega, wheel bags into Mega and check them at the counter. Take your time shopping. Retrieve bags and carry shopping bags outside Mega. Catch another cab to your Hotel. Easy Peasy.

Unless you insist on Mega, I would have the taxi stop at Soriana, Super Aki, or San Francisco.
They are closer to the airport, have better prices, and avoid the traffic along Melgar.
Buy a jumbo bottle of Coke as a tip for waiting and there will be no additional charge.

I would also choose Chedraui before going to Mega if I wanted to drive along the Malecon on the way to RR.

Unless you insist on Mega, I would have the taxi stop at Soriana, Super Aki, or San Francisco.
They are closer to the airport, have better prices, and avoid the traffic along Melgar.
Buy a jumbo bottle of Coke as a tip for waiting and there will be no additional charge.

I would also choose Chedraui before going to Mega if I wanted to drive along the Malecon on the way to RR.
Do you have a grudge against Mega? I think that Soriana bought Mega.

1634087047497.png

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom