Cab From Airport

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chucksaul

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I just read the How to Get Around The Airport which was excellent Sue Sue and it seemed to indicate that taxicabs could come into the drive where the shuttles are. I have always been told they could not and you had to walk to the road. Has this changed? If it has is there a central place for the cabs? Curious as we are returning in August/September... Thanks

Cabs can drop you off at the front door of the airport but they cannot pick you up there. There are departure shuttles at the airport for which you buy tickets. Barring that, you would need to walk to the road and exit the airport to catch a cab.

The walk to the traffic circle is only about 100 yards and not a big deal if you have a roller bag. Taxis pass by there all the time, but none just sit there. My guess is that one goes by every 5 minutes or less.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

The walk to the traffic circle is only about 100 yards and not a big deal if you have a roller bag. Taxis pass by there all the time, but none just sit there. My guess is that one goes by every 5 minutes or less.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

I think the longest I ever waited was about 15 minutes. One of the drivers once told me I should have walked a bit farther down the street (say another 1/4 block or so). It seemed that he would get in trouble if he was seen picking up too close to the airport. But, in the end it was faster than waiting on a shuttle fill up when I was by myself and about $6 cheaper which I just donated to the cab driver because he was a nice guy and the ride was nice and relaxing vs crammed in the shuttle.

The other thing I don't like about the shuttle when you are a solo traveler is that they make other stops first. If you get stuck in the back of the shuttle there's no way to manage your bag. So, if someone accidentally grabbed your bag you might not see and it would be hard to do something about it. I'm more sensitive to this because my camera case usually winds up in the back. And if they load your bags last, they often have to move them or set them on the street for a minute while they dig out other bags. This is not really an issue if your entire group has the shuttle van. But I figured it was worth mentioning. I should also mention that I've never lost anything but I could see this happening quite easily.

Reactions: Jax
$6 cheaper. The shuttle ride from the airport to say SCC is $8. I can't imagine a taxi doing that for $2.
The longest I've had to wait for the shuttle is maybe 10 minutes, plus a 10 minute ride to SCC or Hotel COZ.

$6 cheaper. The shuttle ride from the airport to say SCC is $8. I can't imagine a taxi doing that for $2.
The longest I've had to wait for the shuttle is maybe 10 minutes, plus a 10 minute ride to SCC or Hotel COZ.

Good for you! Sounds like the shuttle works best for you. I think my longest wait for a shuttle was maybe 20 minutes at most - no complaints there. Traveling solo, it just seems like I'm the one whos queued up last an get bounced around a bit to fill a van. I'm usually at he Casa Mexican or barracuda or vista del mar so usually the 2nd dropped off so pretty close to cab drive time.

If I'm with a group, the shuttle is clearly the best way to go - but then you wait another 30 minutes for the last of the group to clear customs, at least one gets the red light, etc.

If I'm with a group, the shuttle is clearly the best way to go - but then you wait another 30 minutes for the last of the group to clear customs, at least one gets the red light, etc.

I'm with you, unless with a large group, I prefer a cab over the shuttle myself. I like it better not worrying about my bags in the back of the van, not having to wait while they get their full load before leaving, not being crushed up with others elbow to elbow, not having to wait while they makes stops before mine. I like getting in the cab and going straight to my hotel.

You have options. Pick the one that works for you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom