CA dive options for weekend of Feb 7-8

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DA Aquamaster

Directional Toast
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I will be in CA for two weeks with a weekend off in either Long Beach or Santa Rosa. What are the dive options and where would I be better off spending the weekend if I was interested in diving?

Thanks!

I will be in CA for two weeks with a weekend off in either Long Beach or Santa Rosa. What are the dive options and where would I be better off spending the weekend if I was interested in diving?

Thanks!

Hi DA Aquamaster,

There's great diving in both SoCal and NorCal, so I can't say which is better. Catalina has some great diving with easy access from Long Beach. Monterey also has great diving and isn't too far from Santa Rosa. I live in Santa Rosa and would be happy to show you the diving in Monterey if you choose to stay up here. Just let me know.

Happy diving,

I too live in Santa Rosa and might be up for a trip weather dependant. We can take my Suburban down to Monterey, and I would be up for spending the night. We have plenty of steel 100's with 32% in them. The water will be 50 degrees or possibly colder. Bring your drysuit. SoCal will be warmer though. SoCal diving is probably more reliable since the weather is more predictable. The vis can be great at either place. If you can do a weekday or slide in on someone reservations Lobos is a fantastic dive spot, but requires reservations.

Santa Rosa looks like a potential winner. Spending the weekend there simplifies the flying after diving thing.

Thanks!

SoCal diving is probably more reliable since the weather is more predictable.
And because the Channel Islands always have a sheltered side. No islands
off Monterey. But I think the Monterey diving is better.

Try the sonoma coast, such as still water, gerstle cove at salt point, fortross or any of the other dive spots on the north coast. The true north coast has a lot to offer in my opinion, on the same note so does monteray and monteray has a lot easyer entery's, just my 2-cents and if as far as a good dive shop in the area try Bamboo reef in Rohnert park at 5702 commerece blvd. or pinicales in sant rosa on 2112 Armory Dr. Hope this helps.

If you're going to be in Long beach I'd say take the ferry over to Catalina and dive the park, then perhaps do a day trip to the other channel islands.

I am working out the kinks in the goverment flight schedules, but it looks liek it will be the Santa Rosa / Monterey area on Saturday and Sunday.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom