C5060 Flooded

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MAGELLAN

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Well, One camera down. Just got back from Cozumel using my new C5060 an PT-020, I love the camera it works great, a litte too much to learn right off the bat though. Anyway, I got one day of pictures in, but on the second day we were doing a shore dive at La Ceiba on the airplane wreck and it flooded on me. Of course, I've gone over and over what happened but I honestly don't know what the culprit was. I ended up with about a tablespoon of water in the case by the time I got back to shore. So, after drying everything out I tried the camera but to no avail, it's dead. At least I was able to salvage the pictures(expensive pictures!). I feel like an idiot too, because I didn't get the flood insurance. I thought that I would just be super careful, but apparently that's not enough. So I would absolutely say, buy the insurance!

Anyway, now I'm wondering what to do? Is it possible to get the camera fixed? I have the premium DAN insurance but I think it only covers a camera lost during an accident. Help :06:

56.gif

Check the address and phone here for Olympus. They have a flat rate repair policy. If they can't fix it they may offer you a refurb of the same model.

Is it possible the water inside your housing was from condensation and not a leak? Did you check if it was fresh or saltwater?

Consider putting desiccant and absorbing pads in your housing next time.

Bummer! First rule...it's not IF your camera will flood, it's WHEN!

Gilligan has a point there about it possibly being condensation. My casing had a fair deal of moisture build up on a recent trip. That was in 26C water, a couple of degrees cooler than I usually dive it. The fiberous material of the desicant packs seemed to absorb a fair bit of the wet but the camera did get damp. Luckily there was no damage tho the camera does seem to produce a fair deal of heat

Do any of your pictures show evidnece of fogging on the lens?

Unfortunately, it wasn't condensation. I ended up with at least a tablespoon or two of water in the case by the time I made it back to shore. I should have acted faster, been more diligent with the O-ring business, and should have gotten the insurance. Thats what I've learned so far.

My C-5060 with the Wt-020 case flooded also. I believe it was an O ring issue but I cannot be sure as the deck hand opened the case before I got back into the boat.

I did buy DEPP flood insurance and it was replaced. In the mean time I emailed Olympus and their flat rate repair was very reasonable. All is not lost if you contact Olympus.

The pictures were great even though my case was almost full by the time I got back up...

Back
Top Bottom