C4 vs. C8

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Is there any difference between C4 lights vs. C8 lights. I'm assuming you get a little more life, but no difference in brightness. Is this correct?

I'm looking at getting:
Princeton Tec Shockwave LED (C8) or
Princeton Tec Miniwave LED (C4) or
UK eLED (C4) or
UK eLED plus (C8)

I'm not sure about Princeton, but the UK eLED plus is definitely brighter than the strait LED.

I am guessing that the same LED is used in both models of the Princeton. if this is true, then I do not believe that the c8 will be brighter than the c4. However, I have never seen one; I am just guessing based on my knowledge of LED's.

Is there any difference between C4 lights vs. C8 lights. I'm assuming you get a little more life, but no difference in brightness. Is this correct?
Not for all lights.

At least one of the manufacturers uses the same exact light module for both their 4 C cell and 8 C cell lights. The module uses a DC-DC converter that provides a very constant light output from the 8 cell dive light whether you have fresh cells or nearly dead cells.

OTOH, the 4 cell divelight puts out full brightness only with new cells, and once the voltage has gone down just a little bit the brightness starts falling off. I don't remember which of the above pairs of lights this applies to, so you'll have to do some more searching unless someone else jumps in here with the answer.

Princeton Tec Shockwave LED (C8)...great light.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom