C. Texas Down Under Dive Club Underwater Can Harvest

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Grajan once bubbled...
But - to be fair - it is listed as a donor on the DAN site.

https://www.diversalertnetwork.org/development/clubs/directory.asp?action=detail&ID=595

The DUDC is indeed listed as a "bronze friend" on DAN's site. To be a bronze level donor you must give $100-249. The cost of the event that they advertised in their spam message is $20-25 per entrant depending on when you register. Do the math and you see that they could be that bronze donor with the proceeds of the 1st 4-5 entry fees. And pocket the rest maybe? Depending on the level of participation, their event could be quite a bit more profitable for the DUDC than for DAN.

and just come dive with me...for the price of a fill, you can haul all the aluminum you want out of Travis.

In two dives this weekend I retrieved at least 4 dozen cans from WP and Mansfield (special thanks to the group that left a large pile of their empties at the base of the stairs at the dam...chumps).

I agree that you can pull out all the trash you desire out of many lakes.

And Travis always amazes me. I can usually find plenty of bottles and cans just outside of the booms that protect the diving area. And one time, I did a deep swing dive (tie off reel on rock, play it out, and do a big arc until you hit the wall 180-degrees from start) at the bottom of the wall at the dam site and found a bicylcle and 2 propane bottles (1 still had it's regulator). Wasn't carrying lift bags with me then so they are still out there, I guess.

Here's an interesting idea for a thread... name the most unusual thing you've recovered on a dive.

have produced a bunch of stuff...

Car batteries, jewelry, tires, kitchen table, typewriter, a floor freezer, etc etc...proving that the 'out of sight, out of mind' mentality is hard at work.

Someone found a working wrist-mount dive computer during one of the cleanups...

A friend and I found a stolen Toyota Tercel at Lago Vista a few years ago...

The Down Under Dive Club is and has been a member of the Texas Gulf Coast Council of Dive Clubs (along with 16 other clubs representing ~ 1500 divers in the Texas area) for a number of years. Their Annual Can Harvest is a benefit to raise funds for the clubs operation and in conjunction with PADI Project Aware to help clean up our waters. DUDC is a member of DAN and contributes annually. The funds they raise in their benefit helps fund their support of DAN.

Larry - TGCC President
www.tgccdiveclubs.org

PS TrashFest ( the TGCC fund raiser) is Oct. 4 in New Braunfels, TX
www.trashfest.org

TexasMike once bubbled...
I agree that you can pull out all the trash you desire out of many lakes.

And Travis always amazes me. I can usually find plenty of bottles and cans just outside of the booms that protect the diving area. And one time, I did a deep swing dive (tie off reel on rock, play it out, and do a big arc until you hit the wall 180-degrees from start) at the bottom of the wall at the dam site and found a bicylcle and 2 propane bottles (1 still had it's regulator). Wasn't carrying lift bags with me then so they are still out there, I guess.

Here's an interesting idea for a thread... name the most unusual thing you've recovered on a dive.

You should just get one of those inflators for your rig so you can inflate the bike's tires and just ride it out of the lake... :)

Back
Top Bottom