(C)ESA incident

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Some reasons for a FFM are: Protection from O2 Tox drowning, comfort in cold water or on very long dives, protection from dirty water (and much salvage, rescue and the like are done in really nasty water), and the ability to talk clearly to other divers and the surface. I think it is a good idea for rescue divers in cold water, or dirty water to use a FFM. But I would be darned if I would dive without a spare mask, even if the reg is "hot swappable" (to borrow from the computer industry) - I see a FFM as much more exposed to flooding and severe failure, they are a great idea for many uses, but just like a drysuit, or nitrox, they pose additional very serious risks.

Again I would state that I think an EA, while an important last ditch skill, is a failure of two or three redundant air sources that should have been there. Unless you were in very shallow water, like 5 meters.

There are legitimate reasons for wearing a FFM, but none seem to be present in this case. This seems to be a classic case of inappropriate equipment selection and application that nearly had tragic consequences.

There are legitimate reasons for wearing a FFM, but none seem to be present in this case. This seems to be a classic case of inappropriate equipment selection and application that nearly had tragic consequences.

Speak for yourself.

Every rec. SCUBA mask I've used has either leaked or flooded on a consistant basis. I'll stick to my M48, thank you very much.

Well, if your mask is leaking, I would suggest that there are other alternatives to using a helmet, but to each his own.

Now, if you tell me you're diving a helmet and you have to do an ESA because you have no bailout, that's a different issue.

This dive was part of training so I understand why a FFM was used - it was a skill that the divers may need in the future and they had to be, I assume, tested on it. Now tell me is there a sufficient bubble of air in the mask that you could use it for a few breaths? I have always wondered about that. Would it even be possible? I imagine those mask really shed bubbles on the way up from 35 feet, like a gallon :)

When I dove my FFM, I had a standard octo and spare mask. I started doing bailout drills with it. Here's the sequence: secure octo, remove FFM, breath from octo, get spare mask and don. Good to go after securing FFM. Mine had a quick disconnect and I could clip the mask to my BCD. The hard part was redonning the FFM. The first time I did it, it went like this: remove mask, don FFM, remove octo, tighten FFM, purge reg to clear, blow 2 quarts of water up nose! After that, I started playing around with purge loose to add some air to the FFM or exhale until water level is below nostrils, then purge mask. Finally sold it. Didn't like the equalization process (Jam knobs up nostrils and blow). I bought a pair to communicate with with my DM/Wife. It wasn't worth the discomfort to get to hear her unceasing profanity about her FFM...lol

I'm interested in learning how to use FFM in the future, mostly because I would like to use underwater communication with my dive buddy, and also for protection against the cold local water. At this point though I have no experience or training with them, so excuse my ignorance on the issue.

I'm curious if you determined exactly why there was a hose failure? Was this a failure in a quick disconnect? Was there a mechanical failure? I can't imagine a fitting snapping off.

My second question is I was taught to train all the way. Meaning if you usually dive with a redundant air source, you should have it in training. Why did you choose not to in this case? Also, I assume you were diving as part of a buddy team? What made you decide to conduct a CESA instead of getting air from your team members?

I'm not judging at all, I'm just curious how you were taught to handle this situation, if you followed that training, and if not what made you do what you did? A CESA seems like an extreme decision from my point of view.

For example, I could see a situation where the hose fitting broke off and the line couldn't self-seal, that your visibility would be zero and the situation a little chaotic. I'm just looking for a little more detail here to see what might be learned.

Thanks for posting your story though. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom