(C)ESA incident

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Glad you're ok. Now, you need to come up with a plan where you can get air from your buddy.

AGA.

i think i'll just stick with spare air, it would be a little difficult to buddy breathe with ffm

dano

So was the AGA with the M&J Swivel or did the supply hose simply come off. For those who are unfamiliar with the Intersprio AGA mask, the supply hose to the 2nd stage is not put on with a wrench, but is typically hand-tightened / installed at the beginning of the dive. This is because the 2nd stage is integral to the FFM -- and divers don't want to stow their FFM and regulator in the same bag. That being said, I find that optimal compared to the OceanReef FFM with use a quick disconnect. Disconnects seem to want to disconnect at the least convenient time.

I am glad that you are okay.

It would seem (since you're not posting via Ouija board) that you did just fine. I think the spare mask&octo route would be the way to go.

The owner of my local dive shop, a man who was in the industry before I was -20 years old, told me that his policy is that you should be able to do an EBA ESA from any dive depth. So only go to 130 ft when you can swim up from there at no faster than 60 fpm. That might be a bit much, however.

Anyway I am of the mind that I would rather take the pony bottle and drag it around than have to swim up. Is it a standard thing to take a folding mask and octo with full face masks? I would be somewhat afraid of using one to be honest. Great for your high O2 decompression stops though, but then you would have the spare mask and reg.

not all full face masks are the same. I agree that if you are using an AGA or similar design, you need to have a second mask to use with your safe second regulator.

I dive the Kirby Morgan M48 that has a removable portion where the 2nd stage regulator is attached. OOA, unsnap the removable portion, reach down for redundant air supply (or grab buddy) and insert into your mouth through the opening in the mask. There is a little skirt inside that seporates the eye/nose portion of the mask and keeps the water out.

I recomend you spend more time getting familiar with your equipment if you are going to use something like the AGA to dive. A hand tight fitting is just asking for trouble, always snug your fitting down with a small wrench before a dive.

You can buy locking quick-connects.

What is the purpose of diving with a FFM? Have you received training on proper bailout? Having your gear configured so that you have to resort to an ESA doesn't seem to be the proper solution.

Some reasons for a FFM are: Protection from O2 Tox drowning, comfort in cold water or on very long dives, protection from dirty water (and much salvage, rescue and the like are done in really nasty water), and the ability to talk clearly to other divers and the surface. I think it is a good idea for rescue divers in cold water, or dirty water to use a FFM. But I would be darned if I would dive without a spare mask, even if the reg is "hot swappable" (to borrow from the computer industry) - I see a FFM as much more exposed to flooding and severe failure, they are a great idea for many uses, but just like a drysuit, or nitrox, they pose additional very serious risks.

Again I would state that I think an EA, while an important last ditch skill, is a failure of two or three redundant air sources that should have been there. Unless you were in very shallow water, like 5 meters.

Glad you made it out ok.

In my opinion, underwater problems should be solved underwater. Planning to bail on a CESA or to bail with a spare air is not the safe answer to this issue.

Please think about your other options and take care!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom