c-card validity and diving addiction!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well stated, DA

the K

Lots of good info in this thread. The best diver I know does not even have a C-card. He's done things like re-breathers and strange gases to 200+ feet and demolitions and infiltrations. Leave it at that. A c-card only allows you to buy air. Knowledge and experience count for a lot more. As for depth, experience leads to comfort. But, comfort at depth is not all it takes to dive deep. There are simply more things that you must take into account. These include temperature, darkness, and navigation issues. They also include faster air usage, which others have mentioned. On top of all of this, there are things like being able to identify DCI if you see it. Those are the kinds of things you will learn in AOW or a specialty course.

Thanks for all the replies. it was exactly what i was looking for. :D

for those that told me to take the AOW course, well, i have already registered for it and will be taking it in february. :)

Hey wheat, nice dog... I went to 75ft the 1st dive after my final ow checkout dive. No big deal. The 60 feet is just a guide line...the depth police won't revoke your card...as for the addiction.. I'm not sure it ever goes away. I don't have a dry suit so I dive wet even in cold water. My friends ask me why and I reply "I rather be cold and dive than not dive waiting for warmer water"...plus I'm cheap and won't spend that much money for a dry suit. Anyway, have fun and enjoy your addiction...it's the best.

Hey, RocketMan, I said the same thing about a dry suit . . . and guess what ????

:D

the Kraken

The Kraken:
Hey, RocketMan, I said the same thing about a dry suit . . . and guess what ????

:D

the Kraken

You know the old saying...cold is just mind over matter...if you don't mind, it don't matter. Besides I get to meet a lot of new divers when they come up to me and say " Are you crazy or just don't know any better?"

RocketMan:
You know the old saying...cold is just mind over matter...if you don't mind, it don't matter. Besides I get to meet a lot of new divers when they come up to me and say " Are you crazy or just don't know any better?"
I don't think it gets cold in Alabama, does it? eyebrow

But it does matter when I have to sit down to pee after a dive . . . that's too cold!

the K

In my OW class, the instructor's were very happy with us by the second day. We flew through all of the tasks very quickly and adeptly. It was a good group of students, except for one guy who couldn't do the mask clear. He was failed the first day and was told he'd have to take the class again. Once he was gone, everyone was pretty comfortable and we were on our last dive the second day. Which is kind of a play dive. We hit a wreck where the deck was at 60' and the sand was 80', with instructions to stay at 60'. Then the instructor took a heading off the bow and, we swam for what seemed like 7 or 8 minutes at 60' (the bottom 20' below us) and finally came up on a beautiful wreck. Again, 80' in the sand. Three of us looked at each and knew exactly what to do. We lost the instructor at the aft of the wreck and headed for the prop in 80'. We were probably there for a minute tops. I went back to 60' first and the instructor came around the corner and caught the other two. Thought I was home free till on the surface, when I realized that my rented depth gauge had a red tattle-tale marked at 80'.

The three of us got the finger wag, and then we all laughed about it.
Jason

Back
Top Bottom