C&C Composition

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow, lots of comments...

A couple of things from my perspective. First, I agree that the background is uninteresting. I was actually trying to take a picture of this fish with his buddy against a pretty little coral head that's actually just to the left of the frame but everytime I lined up the shot, the fish moved. He'd ducked around back and was coming from behind when I took this shot.

I do like depth of field pictures in that the foreground and background are out of focus while the subject is in focus. Obiviously I haven't experimented with this underwater to see if it still works as well as on land. For this particular shot, however, I wasn't trying to do a narrow depth of field pic.

The rule of thirds does work but I worry more about being too far from the subject and losing it in the 'clutter' in my early uw photo attempts. I enjoy pictures where the subject fills the frame with the 'subject' being a part of the whole (shark eyes vs. the whole shark).

The reason this wasn't shot up is that I was literally a foot from the bottom as it was and didn't want to damage any marine life in the process so I was trying to stay clear of the other stuff. I do know this suggestion and took some other shots that used that technique, they just didn't come out very well for other reasons.

I think the main reason I like this shot is that the fish has personality. I see an inquisitiveness in the eyes and the flick of the tail shows some motion and a degree of cuteness.

Thank you all for you input, I'm sure I'll be asking you for help again before too long, at least I hope so!

Rachel

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom