C&C Composition

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alcina:
This isn't particularly helpful - please say "why" you feel it's lacking and "how" you would suggest improvement for next time. C&C is only helpful if there is more to the feedback than "it's good" or "it's not good".

Ok sorry ... let's get technical!

1) First your subjet should be entire ... head, body and tail.( unless it's a close up )
2) Your subjet should not be centered ... law of thirds !!!
3) Undesirable subjets in the picture .... the tube on the left and plant on the right.
4) Never have an " out of focus " item in the foreground.
5) The black mass at the lower right attrack your eye...
6) If possible, white subjets should be taken with dark background

Like I have stated before .... uw photography is NOT easy !!!

It's a Law of Thirds? I hope I don't get a citation for violation of a law.

hehehe :wink: Yeah, those "laws" and "nevers" kinda freak me out, but each to his/her own!

Thanks, shark, for adding more info - it's far more helpful to know what each person sees in an image instead of vague, generic comments!

alcina:
hehehe :wink: Yeah, those "laws" and "nevers" kinda freak me out, but each to his/her own!

Thanks, shark, for adding more info - it's far more helpful to know what each person sees in an image instead of vague, generic comments!

Hey alcina ...

I've been a photographer for 30 years now, and I've teached photography for about 5 years ... and sometime I get into technicalities that people do not understand, or simply get bored !!!

( Usually they say ... " Yeah, you're too difficult. You're a pro " !!! )

A "technically" good picture will stand out, whatever level of photographer you are.

I promise I won't do it anymore !!!! :coffee:

One of my best selling prints if a picture of a queen angel head on, slightly out of focus with a blue subject and blue background, subject centered and you cant see all of the fish. But its a cute shot and people like it and seem to buy it. It just goes to show that all the rules in the world dont matter as long as you like the picture and in your (or someone buying it) mind it is attractive. That's the problem with composition c and c. For your first attempts it is good I think. Keep diving and keep taking pictures....its all downhill from here.

here is a link to the angelfish. The print is cropped a little and cleaned up, but the same picture basically.

http://www.beautybelow.com/fish/slides/Queen-Angelfish-.html

beautybelow:
...all the rules in the world dont matter as long as you like the picture and in your mind it is attractive.

This should be a bumper sticker, it's so true! :D

biscuit7
My $0.02: It's a nice shot but head-on photos of thin, compressed-body fishes like butterfly fish and angelfishes rarely work, particularly with a "slightly down" camera angle like yours. The negative space is just not that exciting especially with the little bits of gorgonian and structure in the photo, which end up being largely just distractions. A black background and a slightly "up" angle would be better for framing this type of fish shot. Don't let this in any way discourage you, underwater photography is a very low batting average endeavor.
++Ken++

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom