C-5050 flooded

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lisa,

I have two Nikonos II cameras, and their O-rings have lasted well over 20 years. I remove them after each dive, wipe them down, put silicone grease on them (really message the grease into the O-ring with my fingers), then remove it with a cloth (just the thin film is enough to keep them good). I also remove all sand or dirt out of the groves. I do the same with the O-ring of the Ikelite case I have for my Canon F-1N, and rub grease into the control surfaces of the case, then move them up and down and finally remove the grease from the control surfaces (which penetrate the case; grease attracts sand, and that's why I remove any excess grease). This has served we well over the years.

SeaRat

My guess is that I was cleaning them too well and applying too much pressure when wiping them down (c5050 has 2 o-rings). I will be more gentle this time around. I'll be testing the casing tomorrow, if it holds with the new rings, or if the trouble lies else where. Wish me luck!
Aloha,
Lisa

Lisa,

I used my Canon S-50 underwater for the first time on my 20-27 Dec 03 trip aboard the Cayman Aggressor. Downloaded photos after almost every dive (25). I was concerned about ensuring a good seal after opening the case each time. To lower my chances of problems, I did the following:

1. Did a visual and physical inspection prior to reinstalling the o-ring.
2. Checked to see that the o-ring was compressed all the way around once the case back was closed (compression causes a visable color change as the o-ring presses against the plastic of the case).
3. Placed the camera in the rinse tank and looked for escaping bubbles prior to each dive.

Hope this helps.

Keith

Thanks so much! Doing all that I have been told this morning and testing it. Hope it works.
Lisa

One big tip....When you first put that housing in the rinse tank, or wherever, to check for leaks, you'll see a few bubbles coming from the door hinge area. This is normal! It's the outside air spaces in the hinges filling with water. Made my heart stop the first time I saw it!

Dee:
One big tip....When you first put that housing in the rinse tank, or wherever, to check for leaks, you'll see a few bubbles coming from the door hinge area. This is normal! It's the outside air spaces in the hinges filling with water. Made my heart stop the first time I saw it!

Got the casing all set up this morning, Cleaned the groves, greased the rings, placed them, did a visula for hairs and fuzzies and then had my buddy check it before and after closing.
On the boat I put it in the rise bucket, presse all the buttons and waited for the mandatory bubbles to stop...they did, and the inside looked dry.
Took it down to about 90'(28m), and PRESTO! NO LEAK!
Let's hope it stays that way.
Lisa

Be careful about having the camera repaired at all. Once electronics get salt water in it, on it or around it it's toast. Make sure whomever repairs it warranties their repairs and consider the cost of repairs against a new camera. I have had several cameras flood over the past 15+ years, including video cameras, and Nikonos V's. If your going to take cameras into the water plan on flooding something every now and then. If it has an "O" ring it 's going to flood. Both my wife and I are U/W photo/video inst.. We are very careful about our equipment but every now and then @#*& happens. After you have assembled your housing. Do a good visual, a dunk test is good but with very little pressure you can still have a flooded camera when you get down under. Check the camera every few feet or so as you descend and once you get 20' deep or so and no trickles you should be O.K. for the rest of the dive. Don't take the camera out of the housing between dives unless you need to change batteries or memory, but don't leave it in the sun. Throw a wet towel over it if you can to keep it cool. As far as insurance goes go to DAN's website they have a link to a company that will insure any and all of you dive "stuff" from loss of any kind. I'm not sure of the cost as it varies on how much you insure but they will quote you instantly and after you list the gear you want insured and give them a C.C.# your insured. This includes flooding or your camera falling off the boat or whatever. My wife and I insured about $10,000 worth of gear for about $250 for a year! Another little trick you might want to try. They make a compressed sponge material that expands and absorbes water quickly. If you have room in your housing you can put a small piece of this sponge inside so that if you start flooding the sponge will start absorbing the water buying you a little time to surface without having salt water sloshing around in the housing. Also not knowing your experience level and not wanting to insult anyone be sure that if you have a problem with your camera don't exceed normal ascent rates to get your camera out of the water! Good luck I hope you never have a flooded camera again, but............

Back
Top Bottom