C-5050 flooded

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aloha neighbor! :happywave

No use in blaming some one else. Deep down you'll know. There is one other thing that I forgot to mention. After completing the first dive and capping the line I came up in the exhaust of the engine (dual Jet dive boat-engines will always smear a bit).....I heard the fuel can make an O-ring stretch....could this have made the O-ring get weak in the first place???

Considering the camra is to be used often, the O-ring thing can get quite expensive ($25.- for 2). Anybody know where I could get them at a better price? Also for the PT-016?

Hows the diving in Maui?

Aloha,
Lisa

justleesa:
Aloha neighbor! :happywave

No use in blaming some one else. Deep down you'll know. There is one other thing that I forgot to mention. After completing the first dive and capping the line I came up in the exhaust of the engine (dual Jet dive boat-engines will always smear a bit).....I heard the fuel can make an O-ring stretch....could this have made the O-ring get weak in the first place???

Lisa,

If fuel is in direct contact with silicone O-rings, they can swell. That would mean you take the O-ring out, put it in a puddle of fuel and it will swell up. When the O-ring is in the groove and sealed shut, no fuel will contact it. Even the fumes of the engine will not cause a problem to the camera.

Well it wasn't the fumes, is was more like I was swimming thru the the water that comes out of the jet engine, which will always have a slight oily residue. But as you say the amount of fuel (if any) that would reach the o-ring ( water must reach the o-ring...that's how it is kept out, right?) would have been too small to cause any damage. Was just wondering.
Lisa

Lisa,
Sorry to hear about the flood. Insurance would have probably covered it even if it was your fault. If they don't why buy insurance. Most floods are caused by error. Ocasionally it is a manufacturing defect but not often.
The advice you have been given so far is great. I add one more step before I take my camera into the water. I slowly dip it into the rinse tank and watch for bubbles. I am not sure I'd find every leak this way but an out of place oring will show up right away. And hopefully the small amount of fresh water from a rinse tank won't kill the camera as quick.
I have been lucky so far. I have only flooded a cheap stobe of my own and a rented strobe that the boat photo pro set up for me. Didn't have to pay for that one!
Good luck,

Joe

Thanks Joe!...It would be great if you were right about the insurance, because my past experiences have taught me - exactly what ever happend to me was just the thing that the insurance didn't cover, lol. No way of post insuring, is there???
Lisa

Hi Just,

I found a site that repairs cameras, and emailed them yesterday just for curiosity. I haven't heard back, but I'll let you know if I do. The fact that you have some electronic function may be a good sign, I have heard of electronics getting wet, drying out and being ok.....

I am used to painful and expensive life lessons, I won't say I recommend it, but you won't forget it either.

Hope everything works out, and it was nice to hear you at least got some pictures out of it.

Ken
http://www.camerarepair.com/

kwickert:
I found a site that repairs cameras,
Thanks! I just wrote them too...don't want to wait too long or else the salt will really get to it...not that it hasn't already.

Do you think the casing is still ok? Can I rinse it out from the inside?....did the outside as always, with new o-rings...just not to sure about the inside
Aloha,
Lisa

The case can be washed inside and out. I'd do it now. A good repair facility that I've used is UW Photo-Tech.

Back
Top Bottom