C-5050 flooded

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

justleesa

Neither here nor there
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi!

I have a C-5050 and have been using it on about 15 dives. Well on the 31st I went on a couple of dives. This first dive was about 95' and there was no problem when I got in for the second dive...got down about 3 feet or so and to my surprise there was about an inch of water in the casing. Went straight back to the surface and noticed that the O-ring of the back door was bulging out. Didn't see it before I got in.
I service my camera after every dive, soak it, push the buttons and leave it open to dry. I take the o-rings out and clean them before regreasing them. How could something like this happen? Just after a few dives? How long do the O-ring usually last? I have heard about a lot of leaking troubles with the PT-15. Has anybody else experienced anything like this?
Needless to say the camera is no longer working.
Would be great to hear something

Lisa

So sorry to hear about your flood! I hope you are insured so you can get it replaced quickly!

I have had the o-ring do this on a video housing. It happens because the o-ring isn't properly settled in the groove and when you close it up it gets smooshed out; or when going to seal the system you do it unevenly and push the o-ring out of the groove. Luckily I saw mine before I latched it shut completely. Once you have closed the housing on the o-ring you should probably replace the o-ring as it will most likely have a nick or tear in it from the force. Without hurting them as above, my o-rings last for many many many dives.

Unfortunately, it is definitely user error. I'd recommend that you add another step to your pre-dive routine...check all seals every time as you close (to try to avoid catching the oring should it not be seated properly) & after you close your system up and check them again right before you enter the water. I also check mine a third time when I have the system in my hand while in the water but before I descend. Ain't electronics and water wunnefull?!?!?

Were you able to salvage your pictures from the memory card?

Sorry to hear about the flood - we share your pain.
It sounds like the o-ring wasn't seated properly. This is one of the reasons why I run my finger all the way around the o-ring AFTER I've shut the housing. This forces my eye to follow my finger to make sure the o-rings are seated properly. Also you should make sure when your cleaning and re-greasing the o-ring you don't pull it too much or you could stretch it permanently (and it won't fit in the groove any more).
How long do the O-ring usually last?
I've had my housing and o-rings for over a year now without any problems (touch wood).
I service my camera after every dive...
Does this mean you open the housing between dives? If so why? With reasonably good NiMH batteries and a decent sized memory card you should be able to get 2 dives easily - the less you have to open the housing the better.

Again, very sorry to hear the bad news.... :disappoin

I share your pain as well and agree whoeheartedly with ReyeR's last comment. Particularly with boat dives I have things setup so I don't have to open the housing on the boat.

Good luck with repairs and replacements.

Hi there!

Thanks for your response and tips they are much appreciated.

Well I already ordered a new one, as I take pictures of dive guests while on my dives, should be here any day. Sorry to say that I didn't take out the the insurance yet. It's one of those things that you just get the casing and want to use it and say I still have time to do the paperwork later. Learned my lesson and now have the paper work for both digital cameras (also have a stylus 400).

Unfortunately, it is definitely user error.

Thought as much....:eek:(, another reason why I am sure the insurance wouldn't have covered it.

Were you able to salvage your pictures from the memory card?

Yes I was! and was able to make the dive guest happy too! But wouldn't you know it, on the 2nd dive I found all the really cool stuff. I guess that's part of Murphy's law.

Let's hope that it never happens again!
Aloha,
Lisa

Sorry to hear about your housing flooding. What is more important is that you have admitted it was user error and not tried to blame it on the housing.
This is very important so people reading these posts don't blame Olympus or Canon or any other brand.
Thanks for being "stand up" about it.

PS: I get about 40 to 50 dives on a PT-010 O-ring before it stretches out to the point that I will no longer trust it to sit properly in the housing groove. I do take mine out after every dive day.

Well it's been about 6 days since it happened and when I put batteries in (The rechargables were shot) the LED display will appear on the top and the screen shows the data but it will not display the view. I will be taking it to my local photo shop to see if they can get an estimate on it. I'll let you know what they said.
Aloha,
Lisa

When I say after every dive, I naturally mean dive day. When I get home I take it apart and when I go the next morning I set it up again. I agree, the conditions to do it right on the boat are just not given. I go diving about two to four times a week - always when there is an extra seat for me on the boat.
Aloha,
Lisa

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom