BVI - Jost Van Dyke Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Where2Next

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
It has been years since Jost Van Dyke was mentioned in any thread. Are there any dive shops beside Jost Van Dyke Scuba on the island? Are there any shops that will come over from Tortola or private boaters? If you have dove around JVD, I would love to hear about your experiences, thanks!

I have no idea how the diving is around JVD, only dove around the other islands (which was great! Particularly the Rhone), but this place claims to be the only dive shop on JVD:

Which wouldn't surprise me as there aren't a lot of people on the island.

@Where2Next, since there haven't been any posts with recent info, I'll give you a single, slightly dated report on JVD.

Some friends and I chartered a power cat in Road Town for a week in December 2019. From Road Town, we crossed over to Cooper Island and dove that afternoon with Sail Caribbean Divers. Very nice dives with a good crew.

From there we jumped from island to island focusing mainly on the boating; we dove only one more time, at JVD, during our trip. We grabbed a ball in Great Harbour where JVD Scuba is located. Three of us, along with another couple from another boat, went on a two-tank with JVD Scuba. Nothing atypical about the operation has stuck in my brain which means I was happy with JVD Scuba.

We had a very bumpy ride to the east end of JVD and first dove Playground off the west side of Green Cay. Unlucky for us the viz was poor so what otherwise might have been a nice dive site didn't have the opportunity to strut its stuff. I do remember seeing sharks throughout the dive...with that viz, one second there was no shark, the next second right there <damn it, stop doing that!>.

We motored a little south for the second dive which was on the west side of Sandy Spit (NB: not Sandy Cay). I'll rank it as one of my worst dives ever. The reef was covered with silt & sand and appeared to be, for all intents and purposes, dead. There was very little fish life. Keep in mind that two years prior, Hurricane Irma passed directly over JVD. The Sandy Spit dive was on the shallow side so it appears it took a horrible beating. Hopefully it's bounced back by now. The DM apologized for the site choice explaining that because of the rough seas we had an extremely limited choice of dive sites.

Bottom line is 1) I found JVD Scuba to be a good operation and would be happy to dive with them again and 2) I would decline a Sandy Spit offer without an assurance it has recovered.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom