BVI diving for Novices

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jenlaur

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
What are some of the better dive sites in the BVI for novice divers? We will have only 2 dives logged (going to the Keys for a day) after our OW cert before we arrive in the BVI. We are chartering a cat and diving is included. Our captain is an instructor so we will be diving with him.

BVI Dive Sites

This web page pretty much covers all the BVI dive sites, beginner, intermediate and advanced with descriptions.

Site descriptions courtesy of the BVI Scuba Organization.

I'm sure your captain will take you to all the best sites.

What cat will you be on?

There are a couple of novice dive sites at the Dog islands, outside Virgin Gorda. Especially the Chimney is a great site, but you have also Coral Garden (Planewreck) that are shallow, and also at least two more sites that I never have dived but snorkeled.

Alice in Wonderland is a great site for new divers. Not to deep, no current and lots to see.

Truth be told, diving in the summer almost all BVI dive sites are pretty comfortable diving even for novices, so long as you have a professional guide with you. There are only maybe one or two sites that drop below 80 feet.

During the winter, some of them can get a bit testy, but you can't go far wrong at this time of the year. Even the Wreck of the Rhone, which can have a fierce current in winter time, has been slack for the last few weeks.

We have also had an unusually warm May, so the water is a lovely temperature right now (I did Ginger Steps and Alice in Wonderland in a T-Shirt today).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom