Buying wetsuits online

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dive_turkey

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Has anyone had good experiences buying wetsuits online? Which sites have the most accurate sizing charts? How often have you measured perfectly and still couldn't get something to fit right?

I've only ever rented wetsuits, so they've never truly fit perfectly. I'd like to finally buy my own, but would much rather take advantage of the online clearance prices.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
-Luke

Go to your lds and ask if they price match online retailers our come close to. Its convenient and you can try on different sizes. If not, go with leisure pro, they have a pretty good return policy

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

That's kind of the problem. I love my local dive shop, but here in Germany, everything is way more expensive. For him to even come close to the prices I'm seeing online he'd have to slash 70% off the tag. They are having their post-season sale in October, but even then who knows what I'll find or if it'll fit. I'm thinking LP might just be the way to go after all.

As far as size charts go, most online retailers rely on the manufacturer size guidelines.

Bare is known for having an extended range of sizes (short and tall variants of the usual sizing).
"hyperstretch" material suits are known for being more forgiving of sizing in general (at possible loss of warmth at depth due to compression)

I succeeded at this where others have failed. First clue.. I bought BARE, second clue... I tried on suits before choosing. I ended up with a Bare, because they are only one of two companies who carry the MLS size. I would have gone with Xcel, but I happened across the Bare Velocity for way cheaper. I love the suit.
Try them on at a sport chalet or other shop. Act unimpressed when you find the one that fits.. then go buy it for cheaper online.

Try them on at a sport chalet or other shop. Act unimpressed when you find the one that fits.. then go buy it for cheaper online.

I'm not saying I've never done it, and I won't judge anyone for it, but I'd try to avoid this situation as it is what kills the LDS.

No one should pay a 300% markup, that's silly, but I think the best thing to do is try and work with the shop and be up front about the fact that you want to support them, but can't pay 3x what you can buy online for.

I'll gladly pay and extra 10 or 15% to support my LDS, local proshop, local hardware store etc. I'm lucky enough to have an awesome LDS that frequently not only matches but beats online prices. I've actually had them tell me to buy something online when finding an awesome deal, but I try to support them whenever I can, because they service my gear, run the trips I go on, and fill my tanks.

I bought a suit online from scuba.com. I knew I was between a small and a medium so I bought both then tried them on in the comfort of my home a couple times over a few days. After deciding which one fit best I returned the other for a refund. Worked better than going to the LDS.

I don't believe in trying on at the LDS to find what fits then buy cheaper online. That's just not right.

^^^What he said. I don't know how well this works in Germany but I went this same route with LP except I tried three. Loved the Bare and ordered a second one in 5 mil.

I got mine from amazon who has an even better return policy than Lp, even when Lp is the seller on amazon. If sizing is the issue amazon provides a free return shipping label. Check if this is true in your country.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

I'll be shipping to and from an APO, I'll check with both LP and Amazon to see which will have the best options for me then. Thanks guys!

As for the LDS here, I love and support them as much as I can, and don't mind paying a slight markup for the same reasons. However, it's all in selection, fit, and price as we know. They're having a clearance in October and I told them I would wait until then to see what comes out of it. I appreciate all the advice!

Back
Top Bottom