buying used stuff

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scotthowes

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
This fellow has new equipment for sale But it is 6 years old.Scubapro BC(nite hawk) reg-SCUBA PRO 2 80's 1 100 steal never been used needs hydro ECT.SCUBA PRO split fins.Every thing was top of line.When you turn on air regulator leaks.then the hose to the computer(tulsa need batt.) bulged.Is the waranty off reg? whats the tanks worth? bc is fine what is it worth?what is the package worth as is?

Sight unseen makes that determination difficult. Sounds like you'll have to sink a little $ into it to get it working for you. You certainly need to get the regualtor serviced, the hose replaced, the computer battery replaced, the cylinders hydro'd & vis'd. I would also get the BC checked out. Sitting that long is worse on the equipment than using all the time. I would guess, knowing what I do about Scubapro equipment, that buying used, the warranty is void, meaning you'll have to pay for parts & labor. You'll need to get it to either a Scubapro dealer or someone who can service the equipment & has or can get parts. Rates can vary from location to location.

The BC is maybe worth a couple hundred bucks, if there is no major work that needs to be done on it. The worth of the regulator depends on which model it is,... possibly $50- $300. The worth of the cylinders would maybe be: AL 80's- $75- $100, the steel, maybe $150- $200.

It's impossible for us to determine the value of the items for sale based on your description.
So much of the value of used gear relies on how well the gear was maintained and whether or not it is functional "as is."
Reading between the lines, you lack the training and experience to bargain hunt for good deals on used scuba gear. If you buy something with this level of knowledge, it greatly increases the possibility of paying more for an item that it is worth, getting stuck with gear that is not salvageable, and/or having to sink more money into servicing/repair in order to make the gear dive-able.

If you want to consider the purchase of used stuff in the future, I'd recommend either investing the time to acquire the knowledge on your own or taking someone with you who has that knowledge to inspect/test the gear for sale.

FYI, Scubapro equipment warranties are not transferable from the original purchaser to a person who buys the Scubapro item(s) as "used" gear.

Used scuba tanks in good condition can be a great bargain. Before negotiating the sale, you should know the cost of hydrotesting, VIP, and tumbling of a tank in your local area. Rust inside the tank might require tumbling. Lots of used tanks for sale need to hydrotested and VIP'ed before being put into service. Some potential buyers are savvy enough to make the sale contingent upon the tank passing hydrotest and/or VIP.

Used regs can often be bought for less than 50% of the new retail price. Once again, you should know the cost of servicing the reg (overhaul parts + labor + replacement of other parts not usually included in overhaul kits) before buying anything. Some people interested in buying used regs will have a trusted reg tech/dive shop inspect and functionally test the reg prior to making the purchase. Even if this "check up" costs a few bucks, it might be worth paying for it since the servicing could save you from buying a lemon or, at the very least, give you a heads up on any additional costs that you might encounter in the near future.

Used BCDs for sale really should be subjected to comprehensive functional testing. By this, I mean every single part of the BCD should be tested for functionality -- just like in a pre-dive check. Do all of the straps and buckles work OK? Are there any visible rips/tears in the fabric? Are there any holes in pockets? Does the tank camband hold a tank securely? Does the integrated weight system work appropriately? Does the bladder hold air over time? Does the power inflater assembly work appropriately (inflate ON, inflate OFF, exhaust ON, exhaust OFF)? Does oral inflation work? Does each dump valve work properly? Reviewing this list, you'll note that you need a tank with some air in it and a functional reg setup to do the tests. It's worth noting that if any issue is discovered, it makes sense to learn how much it would cost to repair/service/replace the problem part. By the way, all of the above checks presume that the BC fits you correctly and the BC has all of the features that you want.

All this being said, Scubapro has a long track record of manufacturing very good quality scuba gear, a highly regarded customer service network, and an extensive dealer network (which facilitates expediency/convenience in servicing). Those are certainly characteristics that I look for in a gear manufacturer whether I'm considering purchasing new or used gear.

Last edited:
Thanx for the info .I've bought used and have put $ into the equipment sometimes it works out some times I should have just spent the extra $ and bought new.What I want are the tanks and he wants to sell all or nothing.I don't need the other stuff (I think I am a bit of a horder with scuba equipment.)The BC is like new all the bells and whistles work(it's to big for me).Just trying to get a picture of how much money I should spend to get the tanks and sell the rest.I would be very shocked if the tanks failed.I'm useing very old steel tanks now that have passed many years.

Steel tanks will usually last a good long while, I've seen some from the early 60's that still pass Hydro. Aluminum cyliders generally have a shorter life span, though I have see a few over 30 yrs old (more the exception than the norm).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom