Buying used S600 - service costs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stuartv

Seeking the Light
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm finishing my OW cert this coming weekend. I've been on the lookout for used gear. I have an option on a used S600 reg set for cheap. I don't yet know what the 1st stage is, so for the moment I'm assuming it's a MK25. It supposedly only has 4 dives on it.

I did some Googling on the S600 and found one or two reviews that indicated that the 2 year service on one of these cost something like $200. I expect that I will eventually learn to do that kind of thing myself. But, if I buy this one, I will take it to my LDS and have them service it this week, so I can use it for my OW dives this coming weekend.

How much should I expect it to really cost for that service at my LDS? Is $200 really an amount that that kind of service would ever cost (unless the reg has been really abused)?

---------- Post added October 27th, 2014 at 03:55 PM ----------

I just called my LDS and asked them. They said $28 per stage to service. They didn't ask what kind of regs I was talking about. I asked, "so, $28 for the first stage and $28 for the second stage?" And he said "yes."

That sound about right?

If so, then, if I go look at this MK25/S600 and it looks like it's in good shape, any reason not to buy it (considering the price is well below what I see used ones listed for here on SB)?

what about parts? the lds quoted $28 per stage. you need 3 stages to@do@ow dives..1st stage/2nd stage/alt air source..so figure on spending a minimum of $82 plus parts which can run another $60-$75..so you are looking at $157 plus tax...what is the regular cost? start getting close to $300 you can get new Sherwood regulator for just a little more,with a warrenty.

So, I'm looking at $120 - 135 per reg, for service and parts? I was assuming that the $58 would include whatever standard parts are automatically replaced during a normal service (e.g. O-rings?). And, if there was nothing wrong with it, otherwise, then no additional cost for any parts. I guess I should have asked about that.

This reg set is $729 on LP. The used price, plus $240 to service first and second stages, is still WAY less than $729.

It doesn't include an octo. But, I could see just buying a very inexpensive brand new octo to put on it. And the least expensive console gauge set I can get, to get started.

So, I'm looking at $120 - 135 per reg, for service and parts? I was assuming that the $58 would include whatever standard parts are automatically replaced during a normal service (e.g. O-rings?). And, if there was nothing wrong with it, otherwise, then no additional cost for any parts. I guess I should have asked about that.

This reg set is $729 on LP. The used price, plus $240 to service first and second stages, is still WAY less than $729.

I am not sure how you get those numbers "plus $240 to service first and second stages".

1st stage - cost to service $28 at your LDS plus service kit between free and $40 depending on reg and LDS. Then any other parts needed. A piston for MK25 will be about $100 retail. The service on the 1st stage will be between $48 ($20 for kit) and $168 (new piston and $40 for kit)
2nd stage - cost of service $28 at you LDS plus service kit between free and $40 depending on reg and LDS. If its quite new then you likely will not need parts but they are expensive if needed, if its older then you need to check the housing (this is inside the reg) for cracking. The service on 2nd stage is likely to be about $58 ($30 for the kit).

You want to be sure that the piston is okay. You can check the IP (Intermediate pressure) ensure it is stable and about 135-140 PSI. If there is any creep you need to get the reg very cheap or move on.

The s600 has had a fee variations, big ones being the change of the balance chamber, I think the 'new' ones are easier to service. The latest variants have a metal Housing some say this breaths 'less dry' but is also reduces the risk of cracking.

I have 6 sets of S600/S600/MK25. They have all been bought second hand. Really the only way to make this economic is to then service yourself, otherwise you have the immediate cost of servicing and hence need to get the reg cheap or have the seller get it serviced and hence take the risk on parts.

If you want a price guide I would look at no more than $300 for one s600 and MK25 in good condition with all original hose protectors and bump caps...

It doesn't include an octo. But, I could see just buying a very inexpensive brand new octo to put on it. And the least expensive console gauge set I can get, to get started.

My preference is that the alternate reg is the same as the primary. If my buddy has a problem they may use my primary and then I get the secondary, or they have the secondary and need air - I want it to be good!.
Then there is the servicing, if you plan on servicing your own gear having the same 2nd stages means less knowledge, kits, parts and tools.

How's the OW gone... the instructor survived.. :wink:

Edit:
New s600/MK25 can be bought in Europe and delivered to US for $US630, this would have the metal housing
And alternate s560/MK21 can be bought in Europe and delivered to US for $US370, the s560 is much the same as an s600 with the plastic housing, the MK21 is similar to MK25 but without the swivel turret.

And then there are all the other regs...

I would think that such a new used regulator may well not need to be serviced. You could check it out or have your LDS check it out before you pay for an unnecessary service.

$28 per stage is not a bad price but is not likely to include parts which may run again that much.

My LDS charges $35/stage for labor and $18/$28 for parts on the two stages so $116 for both of them.

There may be no need have service performed, so check your assumptions. Do check out the sticky post immediately above your post on regulator inspection. It provides a good way to check if your potential regulator is working well. There is school of thought not to service until the need arises. One of more common times to have problems with regulators is immediately after service.

To me paying what amounts to $50/hour for labor seems reasonable. That may not be where you want to spend your time. $20-$30 for a half a dozen o-rings a plug of nylon and a nylok nut does not seem like a good deal however.

I am not sure how you get those numbers "plus $240 to service first and second stages".

If you want a price guide I would look at no more than $300 for one s600 and MK25 in good condition with all original hose protectors and bump caps...

My preference is that the alternate reg is the same as the primary. If my buddy has a problem they may use my primary and then I get the secondary, or they have the secondary and need air - I want it to be good!.
Then there is the servicing, if you plan on servicing your own gear having the same 2nd stages means less knowledge, kits, parts and tools.

How's the OW gone... the instructor survived.. :wink:

Thank you for all the awesome info!

Those numbers came from a total brain fact. Somehow $28 turned into $58 in my head, so $58 +60 for parts became (rounded up) $120 per reg, instead of the $90 it should have been.

My preference would also be for 2 of the same as 2nd stages. But, my current budget probably won't accommodate that preference.

Anyway, I have learned 2 new things. The reg set does not have a MK25, it has a MK2. And, the seller has someone else that's interested in pretty much everything he's selling. So, he doesn't want to sell me just the reg set until after the other guy comes by on Friday - and most likely that guy will take it along with the other stuff.

Oh, well. It wasn't the killer deal I hoped it was anyway. Still, a like new MK2/S600 isn't bad at $250, I don't think. I'd still probably pick it up if I got a chance.

---------- Post added October 27th, 2014 at 10:12 PM ----------

There may be no need have service performed, so check your assumptions. Do check out the sticky post immediately above your post on regulator inspection. It provides a good way to check if your potential regulator is working well. There is school of thought not to service until the need arises. One of more common times to have problems with regulators is immediately after service.

To me paying what amounts to $50/hour for labor seems reasonable. That may not be where you want to spend your time. $20-$30 for a half a dozen o-rings a plug of nylon and a nylok nut does not seem like a good deal however.
I didn't mean to imply I was making assumptions. I was just trying to establish the most likely worst case scenario. It definitely helps, though, to know I could potentially get it looked at and not have to actually have it serviced.

Wait..a Mk 2?... hmmm....good 1st..but not..what I would consider to be a great 1st choice. I'd much rather suggest a SP Mk 10 or Mk 17 for colder waters...altho as a native Virginian...I think a non sealed 1st would be ok..

I love my SP...I have Mk 10's for my doubles rigs and G250's as primary seconds. Great breathers, do the job well. I also would suggest looking into Aqualung Titan LX...great regs, super bang for the buck!

JMO..YMMV...

bubs

Oh, well. It wasn't the killer deal I hoped it was anyway. Still, a like new MK2/S600 isn't bad at $250, I don't think. I'd still probably pick it up if I got a chance.

MK2 second hand $50 to $70. S600 $100 to $150. $250 for MK2 and s600 is no bargain.

This also is not a 'normal' configuration, the MK2 would normally come with a lower end 2nd stage. Is it original or other components put together?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom