buying used gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just got certified and I'm looking for my first gear purchase.

Problem is I'm also buying a set for my wife and my 14 year old son.

I don't want to buy new in case they don't like it very much.

Lot's of used gear around here to choose from. I have a couple of questions.

1. How important is it to buy the same brand that our local shop deals in? (Tusa, Aqua lung)

It is very imporant for those items that need regular service ... on other words, the regulators. The rest of the stuff should generally be okay (BCD's inflator hose assemblies aren't rocket science).

BTW, a very useful thing to do is to spend some time getting to know your diveshop's service technician. Ask him which of the brands they sell that he likes ... and dislikes ... to work on, and why. Don't be too terribly surprised if you hear that a regulator that divers recommend aren't particularly beloved by the tech because he doesn't enjoy working on them due to some design quirk.

2. Are parts for other brands not available to them?

Probably. Pretty much any local dive shop can track down pretty much any obscure part ... if they want to make the effort. If it is for something that they stock & sell, they'll be far more inclined to make the effort. More so if you bought it through them. Naturally, this means that an obscure brand that you didn't buy through them is more likely to be 'unsupported' by them.

3. Can I order parts and fix things myself?

Perhaps, but for some things, I'd advise to NEVER do so. Specifically, I'm referring to regulators (and this is usually where most of the $$ expense is). Part of the reason why a good tech is worth his weight in gold is simple: it is because he constantly stays in practice, rebuilding a number of regulators each week. This means that matter how mechanically talented any one of us are, we're simply not going to get as much hands-on to keep our hand in practice.

4. When I go to look at regulators and BC's what do I look for?

I'd generally look for two main attributes:

1) You don't need to bother with stuff that's "tired" ... ie, shows extensive signs of wear & tear. There's usually plenty of stuff to choose from, so if it looks marginal, pass on it.

2) You also don't want to be bothered to mess around with used stuff that wasn't very good when it was new. This is harder to eyeball, as it generally means you need to have some level of knowledge of specific makes/models (and/or ability to quickly do research). To use an automotive analogy, you'll probably find some "creampuff" econoboxes out there ... but despite being in good shape, they're still only an econobox on their best day. Sticking with known brands, and then make sure to check out the specific model, to make sure that it was a better-than-average product back when it was new.

3) A quick/easy reality check for regulators is to pull back the hose protectors where the hoses attach to the 1st stage...these trap water, so this is often the first place that corrosion can be found on a LP or HP hose, and will give you a decent idea on how good/bad the hoses are. Also, look to see about pressurizing the system and getting the SPG console into a bucket of water ... there's an O-ring at the swivel here that's also a decent indicator for how well the gear has (hasn't) been taken care of. Check with your LDS for how much they charge for a leaking swivel O-ring and have this handy for negotiating on prices.

Our diving will be cold and warm. We travel to Seattle and Ft Lauderdale every year.

In being frugal, you'll be looking to have one BC that can work for both environmental conditions. Be aware of the minimum number of pounds of lift you'll need in coldwater to make sure to not end up with a warmwater only BC. Because of changes in the thickness of thermal protection, you'll be better off with anything other than a classical BP/W, since these don't have multiple adjustment points with which to quickly/easily accomodate going from a 7mm Farmer John to a dive skin, etc.

Can you manually inflate a BC enough to tell if it leaks?

Yes. Inflate it up (oral is fine) until a dump valve pops, then give it another puff (to be just short of popping again) and let it sit for ~15 minutes. BC leaks are most commonly associated with its dump valve(s), which are usually pretty easy to fix...you can often hear these. Also note that over time (and lots of saltwater), the auto-inflator valve can also become shot, which is usually a straigthforward assembly replacement...but check with your LDS for a price quote to see if the BC is still worth buying. What you'll want to be most concerned about is a leak that's somewhere in the bag...hard to track down and hard to inexpensively fix.

Craigslist is where I will purchase. I quit buying off ebay a long time ago. It's a dumping ground for used garbage.

Good choice.

-hh

You can certainly find good used regulators to purchase on CL at Dive Clubs etc etc.

I have owned many different regulators and BCD's over the years, I think that if you are set on your first regulator being a used one look at the Con Shelf 14. I purchased one many many years ago and have a couple of thousand dives on it and it is still functional, I have owned many different brands and still currently have Cressi, Mares and Scuba Pro regs. If you are purchasing from a local person you can usually buy it contingent on having it checked out by a technician.

I have purchased a couple of used BCDs and have never really been satisfied with one. So the BCDs I currently use were both purchased new.. Rent from a couple of different sources and then once you find one that your satisfied with, buy from a local LDS or get one from DIVERS SUPPLY or Leisure Pro (both discount online stores)....

Good Luck.

Roger

I have heard several valid points here. But what is most important to me is comfort and performance. Yes the above posts about the older model Conshelf regs is true. They have allways made rebuild kits for them and I doubt they will stop any time soon. These ar good Breathing regs as well. I would also look into the Mares Ranger 12 and Rover 12 (around $150 for 1st and 2nd). I bought a set as backups but now use it anytime I travel by plane.
BCDs now here is where comfort comes in. i know it is more of a travel design, but im addicted to the fit of the Aqua Lung Balance I3. This may not be your fave, but Like I said keep looking till you can find what feels right to you.
Bottom line.....dont waste money (like I did..and many others as well) on what you believe to be a "good deal"
If you buy used.... stick to quality used and allways have it checked out prior to use.
And if possible.....try before you buy

Unless something has changed, you cannot take the service course unless you can produce a Tech level certification card. I purchased HOG with the mis-impression that I could service them myself and then was told that I could not sign up as I am only a Recreational (read OW/AOW) diver. At the very least, the OP needs to confirm this one way or the other with the shops that offer the course.

From the HOG website
What the website blurb says is that you have to have taken a class beyond OW from TDI, but calls that a "technical diver", which isn't strictly accurate. I took the TDI Nitrox class online and I'm definitely no tech diver. TDI Nitrox is far from being "tech"... it's just a Nitrox course and is listed in that blurb. That said, I agree the OP should clarify exactly what would qualify them to take the course before making any assumptions.

To the OP, might a recommend viewing this thread: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ba...ying-used-discriminating-shoppers-primer.html

One final thing... I don't agree with the comment that brand matters. What matters is if your shop can and will service the regs (if you decide you don't want to do your own) not whether they actually sell the brand or not.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom