buying the basics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

deputy865

Reaction score
Can someone please list the basic things i would need to buy to start diving? I already know to get a tank and reg and goggles and some fins, but what else..Scinse i dont know much about diving just yet, i know i'm missing probably alot! I'm just looking for the minimum for diving in a lake in lets say 30' feet of water and under.

thanks,
Shane

Are you already certified and know that this is something you want to pursue? If not, wait until you get a couple of classes under your belt and get familiar with some of the equipment in your class.

For starters you should have mask, fins (with booties if needed) and a snorkel. You can rent everything else. Then if you decide that this is something you want to get more involved in, then you can purchase more, such as BC, Reg and Computer. There's no need to purchase everything at once. Test different equipment at you LDS and see what you like.

Be patient...you'll get to own all that cool stuff soon enough!

Happy Diving!

As I said in one of your other threads, the tank is one of the last purchases if you ever even buy one. Lots of people always rent.
Get certified first then ponder equipment purchases.

Joe

If I had a chance to do it all over again I would buy a backplate and harness set up and not even go the BC route and not wasted all of that money. I have a resonably expensive BC that I will probably never wear again (even for warm water diving). I am with everyone else on the fact of getting some dives under your belt before buying anything but fins/mask/snorkel. Rent those if you can too but most dive shops want you to buy that as part of the scuba 101 class.

The backplate and harness setup that he mentions has a wing (or bladder) for bouyancy. Enjoy surfing here on ScubaBoards... there is a lot you will learn.

What does BC mean?

I was just thinking i would buy a tank and a reg and the other stuff like goggles and fins at like wal-mart or something...I also read long ago (when i was interested in buying) that you can make somthing to hold your tank and i was thinking somthing like a back pack cut up and modified to hold the tank...

Would i need to wear weights?

Shane

PS i also read long ago never dive alone..What if i'm just out in my lake and i dive like 20' or shallower in extremely familiar waters with a freind out on our raft or in my 10' boat with like a life-line rope...Reason i ask is A. i no knowone else who dives and B. none of my freinds have the money to do this....

The most important basic thing, the thing that you should buy first, is a good Open Water class. Worry about regs, tanks, BC's, etc, after that.

deputy865:
What does BC mean?

I was just thinking i would buy a tank and a reg and the other stuff like goggles and fins at like wal-mart or something...I also read long ago (when i was interested in buying) that you can make somthing to hold your tank and i was thinking somthing like a back pack cut up and modified to hold the tank...

Would i need to wear weights?

Shane

PS i also read long ago never dive alone..What if i'm just out in my lake and i dive like 20' or shallower in extremely familiar waters with a freind out on our raft or in my 10' boat with like a life-line rope...Reason i ask is A. i no knowone else who dives and B. none of my freinds have the money to do this....

There's at least 7 diving no-no's in the above post. You're joking, right?

If not, enroll in an Open Water course. ALL of these questions will be answered in the first 20 minutes. Best money for diving that you'll ever spend. Diving without at least a basic Open Water certification is a way to expedite death.

Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom