Buying Some Gear - Good Deal? New guy!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Attrayant

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am just starting into the world of scuba and I am scheduled to attend a PADI Basic Open Water class next weekend. Can't wait!

Now a good friend & co-worker of mine is a certified dive master. He's put diving on hold recently since he has two little babies at home and doesn't have that the time (or money) right now to continue. Since I have expressed an interest in diving, he's been giving me some advice and is willing to sell me his rig rather then have it sit around his garage for years.

I believe this stuff has some age on it but appears to be in good shape and I wanted to get the boards opinion on it.

Now I don't have the stuff in front of me as he has dropped it all off at a LDS to be tested, so I'll describe it as best I can.

- ScubaPro Finseal BCD

- ScubaPro G200B 2nd stage regulator

- ScubaPro MK1 1st stage regulator?

- Oceanic Datamax Pro Sport computer (air only not nitrox)

- Two 90cf ScubaPro steel tanks, estimated to be about 8 years old.

Also is including a couple set of gloves, weights, belt, wreck reel and compass.

He's asking $250 for all of it and the BCD seems to fit well. He hasn't dived with it for 2-3 years now and insists that it is all overhauled/hydro'd/inspected before I buy anything.

How's this sound to you guys? I trust his opinion completely but I know technology changes pretty quick and with him not being in the loop for a few years, I figured it couldn't hurt to ask the board here.

Thanks for all the help!

Scubapro makes some good stuff. I would want to know that the reg and bcd have been serviced before purchase. The tanks should be marked as to the hydro and last vis. Check to make sure that the stamps are on the tanks to show current vis. Hydro is every 5yr, so the tanks may/should be in current hydro.

I would advise that everything be hooked up and make sure the inflator works, the bcd holds air, and that you can breathe off of the reg.
If all goes well, then it is definitely a good price. Good luck.

Not a bad price, esp with 2 steel tanks, even if they are out of hydro. My guess is the first stage is a MK-2, as I recall SP never actually made a MK-1. The MK-2 is an old design, one of SP's first regs and it is still being made. It is a solid, dependable reg and coupled with a G200 should make you a nice first reg. Scuba is one of those things that technology really has pretty much stopped improving -excluding computer, almost no really useful change has been made in regs in the last 20 or so years. Don't worry about the reg being out of date. Plus, SP is well known for supporting it's regs for many years. If it's a MK-2, it has a lot of life remaining in it. Plan on spending another $100 or so for service on the regs and another $50-100 for hydros.

Post some pics of the regs---could be a Mk 10 with a G200 on the end...That's what I've been diving as my main set since '88 or '89----great little setup IMO...anyway, if it's a Mk 2 on up with the G200 & 2 steel tanks, it's probably a good deal(for you)....

I'm on the right with my G200

SamandJoe.jpg

I would jump at that. You will not be disapointed. Scuba equipment needs maintenance, but what you are buying is as well built as most, and SP does better than most at providing parts for years. Enjoy it!

Thanks for all the advice! I'm glad that I'm pretty much on the right track with what I was thinking. Now I had heard that the new ScubaPro stuff isn't as good as the stuff they had a few years back. Something about them being bought out, any truth to that? Doesn't matter I guess since I didn't see much SP stuff in my LDS anyways but I was just wondering.

Attrayant:

Welcome to diving. Your deal with your friend is a very good one. ScubaPro is a very reputable company that designs and manufactures high quality equipment. SP has a world wide network of retailers and is well know for providing parts and service for all their gear. It is true that they are now part of the Johnson Outdoors Group and that is a good thing. They are rock solid.

Enjoy your diving. Hope you have a good instructor.

Attrayant:

Welcome to diving. Your deal with your friend is a very good one. ScubaPro is a very reputable company that designs and manufactures high quality equipment. SP has a world wide network of retailers and is well know for providing parts and service for all their gear. It is true that they are now part of the Johnson Outdoors Group and that is a good thing. They are rock solid.

Enjoy your diving. Hope you have a good instructor.

Sounds good, thanks! :cheers:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom