Buying Silver in COZ

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm just curious; is there some reason in particular why you want to make these purchases on Cozumel rather than where you live?

To be honest, not any real reason. You can order the Libertad coins on any major metals website, ebay, etc, but usually there is shipping and additional fees. So a $22 coin ends up being $35.

When I travel, I like to poke around antique shops or coin shops and see if I can find anything peculiar. I am not trying to flip or make money, just enjoy collecting.

I mostly started the thread to see if there was anyone who had a known, reputable spot.

But, if I can walk into the Banco Azteca and get 10 Libertads at almost face value, out the door, with no shipping, it would be a good deal. I can then give them as gifts or trade them for food during the zombie apocalypse......

kilogram blocks of silver in luggage would sure raise some flags haha.
Weights are not allowed in luggage leaving Cozumel anyway.
With CL, I'd suggest something like a bank parking lot.

Anyway, when received (or before giving cash, if CL), you'll want to measure the dimensions and weight with a micrometer and micro-gram scale.
You do all that in a bank parking lot? I'm happy when I can get my debit card to work.
I thought maybe someone on Scubaboard (or Coz resident) had a reputable coin/precious metal dealer in mind.
Marge knows as much as anyone I think.
Try Sergio's Jewelry on the square near Woody's. If he has them, they will be real.

You do all that in a bank parking lot? I'm happy when I can get my debit card to work.
Yes. It's a public place, with security cameras.

It's pretty quick to measure the weight, diameter, and thickness of coins. Just look up what they're supposed to be before showing up. It's been a number of years since I bought silver, but I've done it that way about 4-5 times. You can even wait to withdraw cash until after you've verified the silver.

I like to collect silver coins and small bars. Does anyone have a good local source on Cozumel for Mexican silver? I know there are tons jewelry stores, and it was overwhelming the last time I was down. Not really interested in jewelry, but I imagine some of the stores carry coin or bar. Figured I would ask here to see if anyone has a recommendation.

Thanks!

As many others have said - Sergios downtown is the ONLY place I would inquire. They own their own silver mine. Seriously lol. Also if you want a custom piece made, they can do it within about 5-7 days. Best silver shop on the island!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There's maybe two places I would trust here - Sergios is one of them. They custom make and maybe they could point you in a direction if they didn't have it.

I did go see Sergio and he had some coins that I bought along with a necklace and pendant for my wife. We talked for a while, he showed me some of his shipwreck memorabilia, and it was a great way to spend a half hour or so. Thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom