Buying second hand wetsuits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sbiriguda

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I noticed there are many second hand wetsuits at a fair price. Some of them of people who made like 10 dives and then they gave up. I don't like the idea of getting a wetsuit in which someone else peed in. Unless it is possible to sterilize it completely and perfectly. As for the rest, it should be easy to check if the wetsuit is damaged just by watching and touching it, and by the feeling when you wear it.
Is there a way to clean up from urine and bacteria a wetsuit after purchase? Thank you

I've seen any common household disinfectant used without obvious damage:

Soaked, hand wash and rinse.

Bleach (3ppm)
Simple green
Lisole

With all the rental wetsuits in the world, they get peed in a lot and respond well to disinfectant.

Cameron

Thank you so much
I think that a second hand wetsuit that looks used like new should be ok after a good wash

I wore an O'Neil Reactor II 3/2 mm size XL for a month without peeing in it. It stretched out too much and I'm currently in a Large Reactor II. I'd gladly sell the XL and it would be like a new suit after a typical bath and rinse ... and it was never christened. :)

You gotta get over the residual pee hangup. Soak the wetsuit in a bucket of warm water with some detergent, agitate it around, leave it soaking in the bucket for a while then air dry it in the sun. But don't leave it in the sun for too long. Remember as we get older, we probably leave some pee in our underwear every time we go to the bathroom, at least I do.

The one thing to watch out for in used wetsuits is that not every seller is honest, and the suit may have seen more use than stated, and over time the neoprene compresses and doesn't insulate as well, and of course seams can open and the material can stretch. So if it looks pretty used when you get it, there may be more problems than how it looks.

I found this one
Muta due pezzi Technisub Combiflex Man taglia 4 - Sports In vendita a Milano
Based on the picture it looks used like new but quite old type
Let me make a random guess like 10 years old model
Do you think vintage is an option like in normal clothing or the quality of materials deteriorates significantly even though the wetsuit wasn't used?

Either get over the fact that a used wetsuit has almost certainly been peed in or buy new.

Those are your two choices.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom