Buying new vs used - pros & cons?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AJ:
I understand, same situation. What you can do is certify on the unit which is available with your instructor and then decide which unit suits you best and do a cross over to that unit if needed. You will certainly be able to judge much better which unit fits your needs after 50 to 100 hours on the loop.

FTFY.

KISS units are known for being modified to suit the user's needs, (blocked off OPV/ADV, non-standard MAV/ Needle Valve, etc) the monitoring device is moot as the standards don't specify what you need other than "2 forms of PPO2 monitoring"

Agency standards for the agencies I'm a CCR instructor for (IANTD, TDI) do not require 2 forms of PO2 monitoring. A simple handset is sufficient per standards.

After 3 years of diving units with a HUD, I personally prefer to dive units with two monitors (handset and HUD), but standards do not require that.

Agency standards for the agencies I'm a CCR instructor for (IANTD, TDI) do not require 2 forms of PO2 monitoring. A simple handset is sufficient per standards.

After 3 years of diving units with a HUD, I personally prefer to dive units with two monitors (handset and HUD), but standards do not require that.
Interesting.

Do you know if the CE approval requires two forms of monitoring?

They will sell rebreathers but still do not have a instructor to teach them. A buddy of mine said it’s because the insurance is too high to teach rebreather, I think that is bs.
It's absolute bs. The insurance cost to teach rebreather with DAN is exactly the same cost to teach Open Water.

Interesting.

Do you know if the CE approval requires two forms of monitoring?

I'm going to assume no since I know of at least one CE unit that does not come with two monitors.

I don't think I would tie myself to any rebreather simply because the logistics of training sucks. That could wind up being a waste of 10k. I don't know much about the orca spirit. I haven't dove one. I do teach on the Sidewinder. And it's a great unit for what it was intended for. But, if the Orca is a BM version of that unit, NO WAY would I own one, for any reason or any accomodation. If you're really picking an inferior unit (and I don't know either way) because it's more convenient, then you're making a MONSTER mistake. And hopefully you're big enough to admit to yourself (and maybe others) that you screwed up to the tune of $10k. Most people can't admit that they made a bad purchase when that kind of money is involved. There are a dozen threads here about how I feel about the rEvo for exactly that reason. I bought one because it was practically given to me and the class was free. If I had a time machine, two things would happen for sure. I would have realized that hot red head was trying to bone me in 10th grade, and I would have never bought a revo.

With all that said, we know you well enough to know that you are going to do what you wanted to do before you even posted this thread. But, most of us are bored and so we entertain. You'll buy the Orca, you'll likely hate it, but because of something as simple as finding an instructor that offers great units, never change.

On the other hand, I have dove every single version of the Optima, and the BM or OTSCL or CM Optima are both fantastic units. I wouldn't hesitate to buy new or used on either units. I believe the OTSCL unit is one of the best breathing CCR on the market, and I've dove nearly all the current units. Parts are cheap, Dive Rite has fantastic customer support, and Lamar is patient even with the likes of me. AND, your instructor teaches on that unit.

You like to cave dive, or at least when I frequented the board, you seemed to. Go to cave country (in any country), when Optima's out number Orca's 20 to 1 anywhere cave divers are present, you have to know there is a reason.

@kensuf and @AJ's comments above hit the nail on the head...
AJ:
I understand, same situation. What you can do is certify on the unit which is available with your instructor and then decide which unit suits you best and do a cross over to that unit if needed. You will certainly be able to judge much better which unit fits your needs after 50 to 100 hours on the loop.
FTFY
@Superlyte27: you've arrived at those opinions about Revos and other rebreathers by experience gained through many years of diving CCR.

The most important thing for someone new to CCR is to be able to get the experience of their first rebreather; to become competent; to do lots of diving. Only thereafter will they be qualified to have an opinion on different units.

The Orca is similar to the Sidewinder, but also quite different. A lot of people rave about them. Therefore the Orca, etc., must be "good" rebreathers. Certainly good enough to learn the foibles of CCR and diving on that unit.

We all agree there's no perfect rebreather. I love my Revo; it has challenges and massive benefits. I've no intention of changing it, unless it were for something like a Triton....

The Orca is similar to the Sidewinder, but also quite different. A lot of people rave about them. Therefore the Orca, etc., must be "good" rebreathers. Certainly good enough to learn the foibles of CCR and diving on that unit.
Or yanno it could just have a lot of fan boys and girls, good social media marketing, and the sunk costs of people not wanting to realize they made a mistake or not realizing the limitation hiding the flaws.

Decided I’m going to stick with getting the Orca Spirit, new. Four pin Petrel and the Narked@90 blinky HUD.

Decided I’m going to stick with getting the Orca Spirit, new. Four pin Petrel and the Narked@90 blinky HUD.
Very curious, why the narked HUD?
It is very expensive and IMO not as good as the fathom HUD.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom