Buying new vs used - pros & cons?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Instructors can and do read these threads too. And they help form their perspective on who's teachable, or fits their style, or in some cases how much headache a student's "Yelp review" might be in the future. Of course this applies to future buddies, CCR or otherwise too. Some of us have been internet divers for a couple of decades, and we're not strangers. Torching relationships with potential shops, instructors, or buddies? yeah that gets around quickly and the smoke lingers.

Oh, you mean like how you some of you guys treat others so nicely (insert sarcasm)? Like others aren’t going to notice that or do you think you get some dispensation even though you act like a jerk?

One of the other posters in this thread went to my instructor for his Kiss training and he’s a customer of They Who Shall Not Be Named. What does that say about HIM?
Probably that he's dashing, scrupulous, an upstanding member of the community, and maybe even a bit polarizing. Unfortunately, I'm afraid I don't know who you're speaking of, as I've not ever bought anything from dear old Voldemort (they/them).

Instructors can and do read these threads too. And they help form their perspective on who's teachable, or fits their style, or in some cases how much headache a student's "Yelp review" might be in the future. Of course this applies to future buddies, CCR or otherwise too. Some of us have been internet divers for a couple of decades, and we're not strangers. Torching relationships with potential shops, instructors, or buddies? yeah that gets around quickly and the smoke lingers.

Some shops just suck. It's perfectly normal that you turn your back on those whom give bad service or take liberties, or just don't work out due to the wrong approach.

The test is how many others have the same opinion.

And the magic blessings of CE lol
Kind of mixed blessing. Good to see common standards; crazy costs to certify and re-certify for modifications.

Not that we care about the EU in the UK! As some say: Love Europe, hate the EU (protectionist racket)

I don't know why anyone is concerned about conflicts between people/businesses/shops. The OP asked a question. She has her instructor lined up. If people bear a grudge against her, no one is forcing them to participate in her threads nor teach her. Plenty of instructors out there. Doing so has a tendency to go OT and get personal.

Okay after reading through all of this and the odd tangents, this all really boils down to " I don't know what I want and I haven't done my research because I have an instructor I feel tied to." The first question was about new vs used. Any reputable instructor will not train you on a unit that is not in the stock config. KISS units are known for being modified to suit the user's needs, (blocked off OPV/ADV, non-standard MAV/ Needle Valve, etc) the monitoring device is moot as the standards don't specify what you need other than "2 forms of PPO2 monitoring"

@tbone1004 brought up some very valid points on this about different units available for your needs and IMHO I would assess the divers around you and the people you will most commonly dive with, and dive what they are diving. It doesn't matter if it's the best and greatest unit if you're the only one with it and you cant share spare parts, knowledge, Etc.

I dive KISS because it's what the people around me dive. Is the KISS classic a strong unit? Yes. Does it breathe like ****? Yes. but the amount of spare parts I have just in the shop means that between 2 of us on a multiday trip, we can reduce the number of spares we need to bring. and can still solve almost any problem.

What are the pros & cons buying used vs new?

I always buy new vehicles so I don’t end up with someone else’s issues. Does the same hold true for CCR?

Sounds like you answered your own question.

That said, if you don't like turning wrenches are you sure a rebreather in any form is right? I don't say that to be condescending but I feel like you should have an intimate understanding of the inner workings and shouldn't be hesitant to fix "issues" regardless of if they were yours or someone else's.

Sounds like you answered your own question.

That said, if you don't like turning wrenches are you sure a rebreather in any form is right? I don't say that to be condescending but I feel like you should have an intimate understanding of the inner workings and shouldn't be hesitant to fix "issues" regardless of if they were yours or someone else's.
Isn't that where friends with the same unit and possibly the instructor if they are close can come in?

Okay after reading through all of this and the odd tangents, this all really boils down to " I don't know what I want and I haven't done my research because I have an instructor I feel tied to."
Isn't that why @Marie13 is asking the questions here on the super-friendly, super-experienced, super-useful ScubaBoard members?

It seems perfectly clear and reasonable that she has set a high priority to use an instructor that she is comfortable with and who is within a reasonable distance from her.

We all know that it makes sod all practical difference as to which CCR you choose for your first unit. What matters most is selecting a unit, you get great training, have access to post-training mentoring and that you go on to master and hone your core CCR skills. Kiss units are well regarded and perfectly good rebreathers.

We all say that you should choose your instructor for technical diving as the person you're going to spend a lot of time and money with for ongoing training. There’s nothing unique in selecting your unit based upon what your chosen instructor teaches.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom