Buying new set of tanks - Looking for advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We got HP100 Fabers, for us the 117's were overkill. The 100's are a perfect tank being so close in dimensions to the AL80. As for LP being overfilled, it doesn't happen in Ontario. What happens in cave country doesn't up here!

Maybe you've already bought the tanks but if not you better hurry, they are going up $100 each. They are made in Europe but are warehoused in the US and with the current currency situation = price increase.

Faber HP117 is the same volume as LP 95 so even with a fill of only 3K it is over 100cf.

LP tanks don't seem to be that popular here in Ontario Canada (as most shops have to special order in the LP tanks at a premium) and it seems most dive shops here are capable of filling a HP without problems. I'm not too crazy about the idea that my LP tanks will loose 10% of their capacity after the first hydro (shops here will NOT overfill a tank without a valid +).
The plus rating is a DOT standard that really does not apply in Canada. Unless they are older tanks they should have a TC rating which for a standard low pressure steel is 184 Bar which is approx 2668 psi. This does not change after the first or subsequent hydros. I have LP 108's and HP 130's which are great for diving here in the lakes, I use H-valves on mine. If you move to the States then you will probably need the plus rating.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom