buying inexpensive wetsuits, Akona, Tilos- need help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ninshark

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi, I'm new to the forums, and am looking for help in choosing a wetsuit.

I know cheap is probably not recommended, but I see some that have me absolutely sold:

Akona 7MM for about $160

Tilos 6.5MM for about $115

both pretty much same- backzip, fullsuit.

Can someone also tell me what titanium means for a wetsuit?
also, the terms jumpsuit(is that just back-entry fullsuit?), and anyone heard of Economy suit? as in cheap or something?
and what about thickness? who has felt the difference between 3mm, 5mm, and 7mm and would like to share?

are these any good? or would you recommend them? Preferably would want to know from someone with experience with either Tilos or Akona, but I'm open to all responses!

curious 'cause there are so many others out there for $200-$250, like Henderson.

Please help, thanks

Last edited:
I have a 2 pc 3mm Akona (farmer John, and Long Sleeve Shortie) that I bought back in '04 that I still dive and has held up great in all sorts of diving conditions. I also have a Tilos 1mm with the Titanium Coating that I have had for about 3 years, that has also held up great and I still dive (mainly in the summer and always take it vacation diving on cruises and in Mexico) The titanium on the inside just makes the suit a little warmer by trapping more body heat, or at least that's what I think. You can spend a ton of money on a wetsuit, but there is also nothing wrong with a no-frills inexpensive workhorse wetsuit, and hell if you tear the thing up you're only out $100. I love my Akona and Tilos.

i bought the least expensive 5mm wetsuit I could find on the LeisurePro site. It was $124.95 or so in a package with boots, gloves, and a hood. My thinking was: I need a 5mm suit that fits now, but I plan to dive it only for about six months because I am losing weight (yeah, right). I have been extremely pleased with it. Much more comfortable than my dive shop rental suit.

This is the titanium vest I've bought.
I don´t know if it's warmer than nylon lining or bare neoprene. I think that warm comes from good fitting.

Attachments

• Chaqueta IST 3 mm-3.JPG
    Chaqueta IST 3 mm-3.JPG
    27.7 KB · Views: 144
I am a big proponent of "get the suit that fits best, whatever the cost." It should be a bit uncomfortably tight but it will stretch out. It will keep you warmer than say, an ill fitting titanium suit.
Many say the titanium lining makes the wetsuit warmer. I question that, especially with the thicker models. The one thing the so called titanium lining does do is slow the initial stretch factor a bit, but it also makes the suit less flexible.
Get Wet!

ok, thanks a lot for your guys' input! I think I'm a little more comfortable with the lower price now- as anyone should be haha. I think I'll get the Tilos one. It looks promising.

and thanks for the comments about Titanium, very helpful all you guys!

and Gil Middlebrooks, thanks for mentioning leisurepro- it's the site I'm thinking of getting most my stuff off of, it's a very clean-looking site that seems to have everything.

also- anyone know anything about the terms: jumpsuit and economy suit?

You should also consider Divers-Supply. I've made great deals with them.
Jumpsuit in a one piece full suit. I've never heard the term economy-suit.

Attachments

• jumpsuit.jpg
    jumpsuit.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 143
oh ok, cool that's what I thought. thanks for your suggestion of divers-supply too.

I dive a two peice Akona. The first one I got was a bit small for me, or I was a bit fat for it, anyway, trying to pull it on one day, I ripped the leg right off of it. It was a year old with about 100 dives on it. Akona replaced the entire thing free of charge. They didn't just replace the legs, they replaced both peices of the wetsuit, legs and vest. I'm a customer for life.

As for Titanium... I can only speak for Harvey's because that's what I used to dive. Here in FL with a 5mm Harvey's Titanium in spring water almost year round I'd get overheated. It's not marketing. But, they cost a friggin butt ton. (Imperial Butt Ton, not a metric butt ton)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom