Buying gear for a traveling DM career..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

potex

Reaction score
I am an AOW rated diver who is looking to buy a complete set of gear before undertaking DM training. Any special recomendations for a diver who wants to pack up and travel with gear around the world?
Thanks
Ben

i like this question and hope it can be answered! I have my RESCUE and am asking the same question. I travel a lot and do not want a heavy and bulky kit. What is necessary? I assume BCD, Fins and Mask. Perhaps regulators can be rented?? Any suggrestions on lightweight, compact gear?

Inspector Gadget has a go go scuba gear. You might want to look in on that! You have to install the gear in to your body and say the words go go scuba gear and it will actually come out of your body! Awesome for quick access to the water but I'm not sure where he bought it from? Hope this helps? I find they all pretty much have the same bulk! Maybe think to rent?

Scuba diving and traveling light is a bit of a contradiction in terms if you know what I mean.
We all know that scuba diving is a "gear intensive" sport/past time and all that gear takes up room and weighs you down.
The best approach seems to me to use the gear you need for the dives you are doing. For instances if you diving in cold water you will need more/different gear than if you diving in the tropics. Keep it simple, use only the stuff you "need"!

If you were to do alot of travelling I would recommend your own regs for sure. That is the last thing that I would trust to a foreign rental. I would recommend your own sturdy set of regs that are tough and rugged. Also a light BC and of course you mask fins and snorkel. Everything else is adaptable.
Just think that if you are going to be doing this as a career you will want to be comfortable and trusting in your gear when you are teaching or guiding tours etc. As I am going through the same process of DM I can appreciate how important it is for me to be comfortable in my gear so that I am setting an example for the students so to speak. If I am not comfortable and relaed it wouldn't be reasonable to expect them to be.

potex:
I am an AOW rated diver who is looking to buy a complete set of gear before undertaking DM training. Any special recomendations for a diver who wants to pack up and travel with gear around the world?
Thanks
Ben

Ben,

Answer 1. (Not serious)
Titanium regs
Plastic Backplate, 18 lb Wing
Force Fins
Mask that fits
Folding Snorkel

Answer 2.
Buy thermal protection for the place you will do your DM. Start DM and learn more, equipment is part of the curriculum. You can learn about pros and cons of various equipment by renting and using it. DM training can be a valuable experience, it can enable you to encounter all kinds of equipment attached to all kinds of divers, and you can learn from them and their mistakes.

Most (all?) equipment depends on what you are comfortable with.
If you are comfortable with a particular style of mask and fin,
buy them for your training. If not, use the DM experience to find out what you are comfortable with.

My traveling gear set-up and I do quite a bit is very simple:

Mask
Picasso rubber foldable snorkel for freediving
fins w/ss spring straps mine are dive rites but jets are just as good (ss straps so they don't break)
DR regs
SS bp a 30lb wing
Hogarthian harness
all fits in a very small duffel and if you want to save the weight go to an Al BP.
If you are traveling as a pro you will need to have your own gear- this set-up also allows me to do any type of diving that is required. I can pack a dual wing and extra reg in the same kit and be ready to dive anything.

AL Micra or Apeks ATX 50 regs, matched alternative air second stage both small sized
Zeagle escape BC with rip cord harness
Low volume mask, folding snorkel
Air integrated computer/spg like the cobra
Force fins, or jets something small
Good 80 lt duffle with wheels, not with dive logos, try REI or MEC for generic model
Tropical 3/4 or 4/5mm full body suit you need it as you will be in the water allot, this you may pickup at the destination
Palm or pocket PC with Dive manuals loaded
Spares would be good starting with a second mask

If you plan on traveling and working show up with your gear and show the employer you are very professional, as an employer I like that. Don’t try to get away with the absolute minimum or you may not be hired, saying well I’ll work for you but need fins and a BC would cut it for me. Also don’t plan on carrying your gear on the plane and having a complete setup for working with. If you are going far off get a service kit or 2 for your reg; you can likely find a good tech but without the parts you are not going to get it serviced.

I use a setup with 2 identical second stages (one on a longer yellow hose) so at worst I need to find another alternate and switch my alternate to my primary, I used AL Micras for years (I still have 2 first stages and 3 second stages about) now I like the Apeks ATX 50, which I carry the second first stage as a backup.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom