Buying from the internet...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow Bill... thank you!

So basically, the diff aint much, is what your trying to say?

I admit, the LDS has great prices, and was willing to throw in a free trip when I bought the stuff, which he was putting 20% and 15% off ...

Well, I know this prob isn't the right forum for this, but you all are the ones I know... so if it's to be moved, so be it.

My question is about buying from the internet. I was told that A LOT of internet websites aren't really "authorized dealers" of some manufacturers, which makes you unable to use the warranty. How true is this? And, what exactly is this warranty? I know the service isn't free, so does it just cover parts and defects?

Anyone ever had this problem of an item not being covered because it was purchased online? How likely is it?

Thanks!

You can't buy anything from the 'Internet'. You can buy scuba gear from retailers who might want to do business via phone, email, catalog, in person, or the internet.

Your satisfaction with your transaction will likely depend on the quality of the retailer you buy from. Most of the big names who do business via the internet are authorized dealers with many happy customers.

If you have any doubts, call the manufacturer or check their webpage. Most have lists on authorized dealers.

Retailers who try to portray anything purchased via the internet as old, inferior, or potentially dangerous are living in the past. Don't do business with them.

There are plenty of good reasons to buy from a quality local shop. Fear about what will happen if you buy from another retailer shouldn't be one of them.

Rich

One thing to consider...what lines does your LDS have and is that all you are comparing? My biggest reason for not buying from the local dive shop is usually that they only carry a limited, high price point line for everything. The price difference on that line at Scubatoys (an LDS in TX that does business over the internet) is not huge but the options they have are much better and they have more reasonably priced lines (just because the price is higher doesn't make the product better).

As for the service discussion, I send my regs back to Scubatoys for annual service because their service rates are lower and their turnaround even with the shipping is the same. In the end my regs have been serviced annualy by an authorized service center and thus the full waranty is still in effect at any authorized service center for that manufacturer.

The moral of the story is, it is no longer Internet vs LDS it is now retailer versus retailer. As far as I'm concerned, doing business with a retailer on-line is no different than shopping prices at different stores around town without the time or driving.

I honestly have never priced regs in the Miami area, but you have a number of Retail outlets that sell online (Divers Direct comes to mind), and I'm betting those shops have reasonable to great pricing. They likely also service. If ANYONE is able to purchase locally at a good price, it should be folks in FL.

I do NOT purchase locally, I buy from ScubaToys, LP, etc. I don't service locally either. I use TDL. It is sad that paying shipping both ways + the cost of the service is still about 30~40% cheaper than using my LDS... sigh...

As to people looking down their nose at you for purchasing elsewhere.. screw them! :D In Miami, there are a ton of scuba shops, and none of them should treat anyone like that because there is plenty of options. It's not like you live in a one LDS town.

I love it when my old local dive shop used to tell me everything that he did not carry was crap---I did alot of research when buying my current rig. Decided that a zeagle stilleto would be the bc for me--put it on and it fit well and bought it from divers direct. My local shop did not carry zeagle--when I told him I got a zeagle he told me they were junk and that he bought one once and returned it the following day it was so poor. Meanwhile a good portion of the stuff he carries is like off brand stuff. I understand businesss need to sell the products they carry, but jeez--carry the good stuff!---if you are a dive shop you should be carrying zeagle stuff.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom