Buying from dive inn

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cstreu1026

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I just purchased an Apeks reg and octo from dive inn and was wondering when and how to I pay the duties on it.

Typically, your delivery carrier (DHL) has to collect. However, when I ordered my octo from them, DHL didn't collect anything upon delivery. I'm not sure if there's a limit to the purchase above which they start charging it; mine was about $100...

-Roman.

Do i makle a check payable to DHL?

and there were no duties charged...

I received my regs and several months later I received a bill for the duty. The first reg I ordered I never had to pay duty. Just wait and see if you get mailed the bill.

Only if the total is greater than $200, a customs duty invoice is sent by DHL, to the shipping address after the fact. The one I’m looking at now has a tariff rate of 7.3% plus a $5 processing fee charged by DHL. I sent the check for the total to DHL but the invoice gives you the option to pay the customs charges with a separate check made out to the US Customs Service and warns that “payment to the broker will not relieve you of liability for customs charges in the event the charges are not paid by the broker.”

I figured I could trust DHL with the $20.59.

Mike

I called Customs to find out what the duty would be before I ordered, and I was told there was no duty on recreational dive equipment ordered from Spain. I never got sent a bill, either. This was about a year and a half or two years ago.

My dive buddy and I ordered two scubapro regs from a dealer in Austria and never had any duty charged to us. Total was over $600. Maybe we'll still get something later, it's been about a month now. :eek:

I made a $500 purchase from DiveInn 18 months ago, and later received a customs bill, but did not receive a customs bill on my last $800 order. I guess it depends on the customs officer who handles your shipment!

I heard $200 was the duty free limit.

Scubaroo once bubbled...
I made a $500 purchase from DiveInn 18 months ago, and later received a customs bill, but did not receive a customs bill on my last $800 order. I guess it depends on the customs officer who handles your shipment!

I heard $200 was the duty free limit.

Scubaroo, if you do get a bill, I'd recommend you contact customs and ask why. The customs guy I talked to told me there was no duty, and my purchase was more than $200. I can't recall the exact conversation because it's been some time back, but the word "recreational" I believe was part of the classification. I would wonder if the customs officer who billed you didn't class your purchase as commercial. Just a thought. One caveat: in calling these people, it's not that simple to get the person on the phone right away who can claim to answer your question.

Back
Top Bottom