Buying first regs set.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CaveSloth

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am getting into technical diving and not sure if I want to do back or side mount doubles yet. What gear would I need to be able to switch my reg set(s) back and forth between the two?

I am getting into technical diving and not sure if I want to do back or side mount doubles yet. What gear would I need to be able to switch my reg set(s) back and forth between the two?
With the cost of training and other needed equipment, by the time someone is cave diving both backmount and sidemount, I've noticed most just buy two sets of regs. Swapping hose routing back and forth between dives is cumbersome.

The "optimum" reg for one isn't "optimum" for the other. Can dive with most regs, do you have a few in mind you like already?

I am ready to buy Dive Rite.

XTs are nice regs and will work equally well for both. Switching reg sets back and forth is more trouble than it's worth. I have dedicated sets of regs for BM, SM, and a couple others for stage/deco.

If you are really trying to economize, then pick one and stick to it until you are ready to expand gear.

I have backmount and sidemount trainings coming up soon. I guess I will just use rental sets for those until I know which one I want to commit to.

You could buy a BM set of XT regs. You will only have to add one SPG and a few different length hoses to make the switch.

Have you discussed w your instructor? A couple I know have loaner regs.

Honestly I would buy a set of used Scubapro Mk10 / G250'S. They are cheap. You can buy them used for less than $150 / set all day long and often for less than $100. They actually will outperform a Mk20/25. Unless you are diving freezing water you can't go wrong with them. They have the swivel turret which in sidemount is really nice. If later you decide you want a newer reg you can use them on stage / deco bottles.

Honestly I would buy a set of used Scubapro Mk10 / G250'S. They are cheap. You can buy them used for less than $150 / set all day long and often for less than $100. They actually will outperform a Mk20/25. Unless you are diving freezing water you can't go wrong with them. They have the swivel turret which in sidemount is really nice. If later you decide you want a newer reg you can use them on stage / deco bottles.
MK10/G250 are a great combination. Good solid reg.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom