Buying First BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My only disagreement -- can't stand those and stopped using them (on a few BCs that had possessed them) at just about the same time that I gave up on the use of beaver-tails, on wetsuits; those, and also those upper secondary BC buckles at the breast bone, which I had often forgotten to detach . . .
Kinda funny... I am the opposite. I add a crotch strap to a BC if it doesn't have one and always use the cross chest buckle on a BC (or I add one to the BP/W harness), because it keeps the harness on me more securely. Everyone has their opinions on comfort and preferences...:)

If you are mainly using for Travel, there's a thread on this same sub-forum talking about a back-inflate all-in one BC. People speak positively about it - Ive never used it..

Its attractive to me bc: a) price (I also saw it on sale for $250; and b) two tank straps. I prefer 2 tanks straps, as I have seen too many tanks slipping. Drawbacks - for me, no accessory pockets. You could easily add one.

Myself personally, I am not a BP/W zealot as many on here are. But the reason I dont use a jacket sounds like why you dont like them - I hate how when you inflate them you feel like the Michelin Man. For warm water, it may not be a big deal, but for my local water, it would mean ~30 lbs bouyancy around my middle. (I recently used a rental jacket style in Seattle - hated it inflated, although didnt notice it when I was diving).

When my back-inflate BCD died after 15 years use, my requirement for 2 tank straps and back inflation lead me to a BP/W. If you want to consider that route, Dive Gear Express has packages starting at $400.

Hi all,

First-time post from a new member here with about 5 years and 35 dives under my belt. All I've done so far on trips (exclusively Caribbean/warm water) is rent equipment, and now it's getting time for a purchase. I've mostly used the Cressi Start Pro when I've rented equipment and it's fine, but I want to make sure I do enough research before buying. I've tried on an Aqualung Axiom at a local shop, and really like the idea of a hybrid between a jacket and a back-inflate or backplate-and-wing. That said, is the Axiom the best hybrid? Are there jackets that aren't as constricting as the Start Pro? It's hard to believe I found the right one the first time I tried something on, but I guess it's possible.

Looking for any and all input on the topic. As far as budget, a wise man once told me "find the Lexus, find the Yugo, then buy the middle."

Thanks very much!

If by Hybrid you mean back inflate, then I must disappoint you, the (aqualung) axiom inflates around the waist as well.
The (aqualung) dimension is a back inflate only if that's what you want, and features the same comfortable wrapture harness.

Both are fine and capable BCD's. I happily used a dimension for the past 8 years which I bought second hand (and made mainly cold water dives with it). So they are durable enough as well.
As it's now starting to fall apart, I'm moving on to BP/W.

I would avoid the whole hybrid back plate and wing (BP/W) thing and just go for the full, proper BP/W setup. When I switched, I originally bought a harness system (Hollis Elite 2) that had extra clips, adjustments, etc. I quickly realized that those extra releases were completely unnecessary for my use case. They simply created more failure points.

I ended up switching to a full, proper, BP/W setup with a simple harness that only had a waist buckle. I couldn't find any difference in ease of use compared to my last harness. The other great thing is that every single part of the system is modular, readily available, and easy to fix if anything goes wrong or breaks. You never have to commit to a single manufacturer for parts or service.

Bottom line: A simple BP/W system works for me and should work for most due to its simplicity, lack of failure points, and ease of repair.

You can buy already assembled BP/W setups if you want to avoid assembling it yourself. However, there are great videos on YouTube that show how to do it yourself if you want to go that path.

I can see how a BP/W would be preferred if flexibility is an issue (like the ability to go to dual tanks), but if the intended use is going to be purely recreational (single tanks), is there really an advantage to a BP/W over a back inflate BCD? I'm just getting back into this after a LONG break, and I don't recall there being such...animosity might be too strong of a word, but you get it...toward BCD's. I get the squeeze issue with jacket BCD's, but it seems like back inflates resolve that and also give you the benefit of integrated weights, maybe some pockets, etc.

I can see how a BP/W would be preferred if flexibility is an issue (like the ability to go to dual tanks), but if the intended use is going to be purely recreational (single tanks), is there really an advantage to a BP/W over a back inflate BCD? I'm just getting back into this after a LONG break, and I don't recall there being such...animosity might be too strong of a word, but you get it...toward BCD's. I get the squeeze issue with jacket BCD's, but it seems like back inflates resolve that and also give you the benefit of integrated weights, maybe some pockets, etc.

Doesn’t shift on your body, good lumbar support, simple no frills etc design and shifts weight from belt/pockets to over your lungs.

Like everything it's personal comfort and preferences. I encourage new divers to try one. If they like it they know, if they don't they know.

Like Formernuke says, it's individual preference. I prefer to run a weight belt separate from my BPW, but my usual dive buddy has dump-able weight pockets on his (giving him integrated weights). I also use a flat backplate (VDH style) that packs down to nothing if I travel. Those of us who prefer BPW often like the modularity (add pockets or integrated weight if desired, D rings where we want them, all changeable as our needs/preferences change) and dislike the unnecessary frills on "traditional" BCDs (padding that does nothing in the water but add buoyancy, arbitrary pockets, etc.).

But, most important is what works for you. My kids and I use BPW... one of them insists on a backpad on his (more power to him). My wife, on the other hand, hates back inflate and likes traditional jacket style BCDs (I keep a ScubaPro classic for her). Borrow/Rent/Try multiple types, multiple times, and see what works for YOU (and if any of us preach the BPW too much, ignore the hype and look at the facts mentioned, good and bad).

Respectfully,

james

... I don't recall there being such...animosity might be too strong of a word, but you get it...toward BCD's.
I think a lot of us who have switched are still miffed about having wasted money and time on standard BCDs. I definitely enjoy my dives more with a BP/W than a BCD.

I also think it's pushback on the main scuba manufacturers who until very recently have pretended that the BP/W is either dangerous or unsuitable for anyone but tech divers.
I get the squeeze issue with jacket BCD's, but it seems like back inflates resolve that and also give you the benefit of integrated weights, maybe some pockets, etc.
With a BP/W, you can avoid the need for carrying large amounts of weights in the first place due to the reduction in padding, weight of the plate itself if using steel, and the ease of attaching non-ditchable weight to the plate or tank bands (nless you are wearing a drysuit or 7mm+ of neoprene, in which case you probably should have some weight on a separate belt anyway). I use a pair of small trim pockets on my waist strap for the minimal lead I need in tropical water.

Pockets are an issue. I clip on the couple of things that I need (light(s) and DSMB) and you can attach moderate size pockets to your waist belt. But if you have a bunch of stuff to carry, you end up with tech shorts or gluing a pocket to your suit.

If by Hybrid you mean back inflate, then I must disappoint you, the (aqualung) axiom inflates around the waist as well.
The (aqualung) dimension is a back inflate only if that's what you want, and features the same comfortable wrapture harness.

Both are fine and capable BCD's. I happily used a dimension for the past 8 years which I bought second hand (and made mainly cold water dives with it). So they are durable enough as well.
As it's now starting to fall apart, I'm moving on to BP/W.

I have heard the term "hybrid BCD" to refer to a BCD that has inflation in the back AS WELL AS around the waist, i.e. hybrid between back-inflate and around-the-waist inflate. I do not know if that was what the OP meant by hybrid. But from your description, maybe the Axiom is such.

Some people here seem to be using "hybrid BCD" to refer to an integrated BC, with a jacket-style harness, but that has a back-inflation bladder. Personally, I wouldn't call this a "hybrid BC", I would simply call it a back-inflate BCD (different from a BP/W).

Just making sure we are all agreeing on terms.

Myself personally, I prefer back-inflation, but I am fairly open to either a back-inflate BC or a BP/W. I dont particularly need a Hogarthian harness, I dont think the "failure points" of a jacket style harness are a big deal, and if someone prefers this harness for whatever reason (adjustability, integration, comfort), thats fine.

...if the intended use is going to be purely recreational (single tanks), is there really an advantage to a BP/W over a back inflate BCD?
The modularity gives you the option for choice of each piece (e.g.: AL, Steel or soft backplate, wing lift capacity) rather than having to accept a pre-determined configuration), and offers the hope that if a component fails (e.g.: major wing bladder rupture), you can replace that without having the replace the whole system.

Some people are quite happy taking a 'plug and play' pre-configured 'off the rack' system like a traditional jacket BCD and diving it for years. That simplicity may well be a key factor in how popular they are.

But...if you are buying a setup for yourself, and you'd like a higher level of customizability and the option to replace components rather than the whole rig, then yes, potentially a BP/W might give you some nice options.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom