Buying First BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just looked over the Aqualung BCD line and it appears the OP made up his own definition of hybrid as being between a back-inflate like the Rogue and a full jacket with cummerbund like the Pro HD.

I visit this part of the forum very rarely as I notice this constant BP/W-pushing annoys me. I am fully convinced that the pushers never drink, smoke, eat sparingly and healthily, avoid stress, exercise daily and have a perfect BMI. I'll quit my rant now and wish you best of luck.
Not true!
I drink very occasionally, non smoker, eat regularly and hopefully healthily, do not exercise at all and my BMI is on the good side.
We are all individual.
BP/W is very rare from the divers that I had came across over last 25yrs in SE Asia.
How often I came across SW computer? Couple of times over last 10 yrs.
I can name few more but what is the point.
I dive with BP/W but happily with jacket or whatever available for rental.
It is just a piece of equipment with plenty suitable alternatives.

I just looked over the Aqualung BCD line and it appears the OP made up his own definition of hybrid as being between a back-inflate like the Rogue and a full jacket with cummerbund like the Pro HD.
I'm not sure. If i look at google, i see several sources mentioning back inflate (it is not). It may be the so-called bladder retraction system i described earlier. That might make it hybrid-like although frankly i have no clue what hybrid should entail in this context. When inflating, i mostly notice air on my back. Only when fully inflating (rarely) I feel the sides really inflating. This may be the reason.

Hybrid: the offspring of two ......
Could be anything ie meaningless but some people probably believe it has inherited the best from the parents

After some further reading, the term "hybrid" is used for at least two types of BCD.

When traditional BCD makers talk about hybrids, they mean it the way the OP did: as something between a full jacket and back inflate. It's still an all-in-one BCD, but the only air cells (except for the primary one on the back) are at the sides along the waist. This is unlike a traditional "stab" jacket BCD where the entire thing is an inflatable vest, including the chest and under the arms, and unlike a back inflate which only has the rear air cell.

I would guess that this type of hybrid is now far more common than the full jacket type

The more recent usage of the term "hybrid BCD" is for something between a BP/W and a back inflate. Usually it's at least somewhat modular and will include a bunch of "features" like padding on the backplate and upper harness straps and some sort of integrated weight system.

Someone better come up with an original name for both of them to avoid confusion.

Back
Top Bottom