Buying Equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

johntt1986

Registered
Reaction score
What necessary items of scuba gear can't you buy until u have been certified as a beginner scuba diver...Besides the wetsuit, weightbelt, fins, mask and snorkel

mboot_9:
What necessary items of scuba gear can't you buy until u have been certified as a beginner scuba diver...Besides the wetsuit, weightbelt, fins, mask and snorkel

You can buy anything you want....
Very few places will even want you to show a card for air fills.

Most recreational divers, regardless of skill level, are poorly informed on which gear will be ideal for them as they progress in ability. The goal is to educate yourself to actually speed your learning curve over typical first choices, and understand from the start which gear will NOT become obsolete as you jump to much higher levels of skill and dive site choice. Gear purchases can actually be modular. If you start with the "Doing it Right" mind set, and if you begin with the single tank and Halcyon type harness and wings, any advancement in your skill and diving location choice will be a natural progression, allowing you to use the same type of gear configuration. The diver who starts with the "backplate and wings" type system, in a basic single tank configuration with a long hose primary, will be very comfortable moving into the wreck penetration arena, to deeper diving, or the cave diving arena. Once you are familiar with a harness set-up--with a streamlined profile and proficient use of a minimum number of d-rings to standardize gauge and gear placement--the move from a single tank to doubles becomes a non-issue.

It seems that both answers are extremely concise. Skakazulu is right on the mark. He is advising you to proceed in a direction that in the end will cost you the least and yet serve you in totality for your diving progression.

Do you have specific gear questions?

Many people buy scuba gear for gifts which precludes LDS's from requiring C-cards for purchases.

In my experience I've never had a local dive shop require C-cards for a purchase of critical gear.

I bought all of my gear during my confined water courses.

Go ahead and buy your gear. However, be prepared to recognize that you've probably made some mistakes in your gear selection.

Some shops may require a C-card to purchase any Life Support device. With the days of internet and online purchasing most shops don't bother any more because if they don't sell it to you than you can just buy it online. The comments I've heard is you can't breathe off a reg if you have no air in a tank to breath. So unless an uncertified diver happens to have a HP air compressor sitting in their basement than sell anything but Air without requiring C-card.
As far as what to buy the folks here have a point. I've bought gear only to have to replace it because it didn't meet my needs as my diving changed. DIR is one option and there are others out there as well. Do lots of research and get advice from those who have experience in the diving field and who are not trying to sell you something.
Jason

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom