Buying equipment...HELP!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wahoo_wah

Registered
Reaction score
Friends,

If you all take a look at my first post in the 'Greetings' section you'll see that I'm just getting into diving, and that I'm going to be doing a circumnavigation beginning sometime in 2008.

Ok all, I'm starting to take a look at equipment and am a tad confused.....I'm certain that all manufacturuers make great products, I'm just not certain the right questions to be asking.

Open backed fins vs full ones..?

What should I be looking for in a BCD..?

Best masks for Rx?

Tanks??

Reg and octopus??

Wow, so much I just don't know...

Wahoo wah!!

you should go with a back plate and wing set up or you'll never become a good dive! haha just kidding, but considering getting one when deciding. as for fins if you have knee problems or just dont have strong legs then go for split fin, full fin if you have stronger legs. mask, get one that fits you and gives you a good field of vision. for reg and octo get the best you can afford. i wouldnt worry much about a tank cause in some cases you might be better of just renting. you also might consider getting a comp. you really dont need one but it helps.

Depends on the temperature. Most divers use open backed fins so they can wear neoprene boots.
Hard to recommend. You need to rent different types to find out what you like.
Best masks for Rx?
Dunno.
Tanks??
Dunno.
Reg and octopus??

Rent some different types. It's mostly personal preference. Poseidon and Apteks are both great regulators, but they are $.

You're also probably going to need a computer, wetsuit, and other miscellaneous things.

You should have probably posted in New Divers & Those Considering Diving.

Choice for most of these items is very personal in nature. I would agree that you probably want open back fins, but there are many good brands. I use Mares quattro, and have been fairly happy. They are a bit stiff and if you have any problems with cramping I would pick something a little more flexible. As to BCD, dive a couple of different types before making your decision. I personally prefer some type of rear inflation BC, either a BP/W set up or something like a Zeagle Ranger. If you are looking for a mask for RX, I can not more highly recommend the HydroOptix mask. This mask is the best purchase I have made so far.

http://www.hydrooptix.com/

Wahoo_wah:
Friends,

If you all take a look at my first post in the 'Greetings' section you'll see that I'm just getting into diving, and that I'm going to be doing a circumnavigation beginning sometime in 2008.

Ok all, I'm starting to take a look at equipment and am a tad confused.....I'm certain that all manufacturuers make great products, I'm just not certain the right questions to be asking.

Best masks for Rx?

Tanks??

Reg and octopus??

Wow, so much I just don't know...

Wahoo wah!!

Wahoo wah,

Don't worry about buying more than mask, snorkel, and fins until you've completed some training and had the opportunity to borrow or rent a range of gear.

Mask? The one that fits your face and seals well. I don't have any experience with Rx masks.

Fins? Chances are that you are going to encounter cooler water temps somewhere along the way, or rough shores, or something that will cause you to want to wear a dive boot over going barefoot. So, open heel fins are probably going to serve you better. That said, split vs blade vs paddle style is a decission you will have to make after trying several and deciding what will work best for you. People who seem to like maximum efficiency while flutter kicking ahead, tend to go for splits. Folks that don't mind a decrease in efficiency in return for a multitude of useful specialty kicks used for close quarters maneuvering tend to like paddle fins. And, for those somewhere in between typical blade fins seem to work. Try as many as you can before buying.

Try as much gear as you can during your training. Look for particulary durable gear with a minimum of things that can break while far away from any service. And don't be afraid to read all the many threads on this board that deal with each individual piece of gear. Then, when you have specific questions, you'll probably find a plethora of answers.

Cheers and Good Luck,

If you have to walk anywhere, then get open backed fins and wear boots.

There's a ScubaBoard article that'll get you started:

Choosing the BCD You Need

My recommendation is to rent and dive a bit. After a few dives, you'll find out what you need. After a few more dives, you'll find out what you don't need.

If you cannot wait, then select a few models and research what people say on the board and various reviews online. You can also post for comparisons between models. Specific questions get more answers.

Best masks for Rx?

No help here.

Tanks??

For now, rent. Most likely, you'll be diving AL80s. When people decide to buy, most will choose steel tanks and a size that meets their local diving needs.

Reg and octopus??

Scuba Diving has a good starting article:

How Much Should You Spend on a Regulator?

Lots of choices and opinions on the best regs. Like BCDs, when you have questions on a specific model, you'll get more feedback.

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom