Buying dry suits online

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

joeabroad

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Is it a bad idea to buy a dry suit online? This question is coming from someone used to a 7mm wetsuit but getting tired of it. I haven't begun looking too carefully at my options yet, but I'm wondering how important it is to have someone there to trim the seals, etc. of the dry suit. I bought my wetsuits online but sizing wasn't easy--I had to return a couple before I found the right fit.

Go rent a couple - get a feel for your size in specific manufacturers (DUI, Whites, Bare, etc.), pay the shop, thank them very much, then get on line and let your fingers do the shopping.

I'm a perfect, OTR Medium in DUI. So buying online (read: eBay) was easy for me.

---
Ken

I bought mine online, and the online store emailed me the Diving Concepts sizing video. It was only $200 more for custom, so I followed the video's instructions and got a perfect fit.

Before that, I priced the suit I wanted (Whites) online and took my price into the shop. I didn't need them to match it, just get close, which the did. I wanted the service from them, which I later needed.

So, one from the LDS, one online, happy with both experiences.

I was in the same boat as you, I ended up ordering a bare HT Tech from a divetank.com out of BC Canada. I am very large so went custom ordered, There sales people worked with me had me tank a ton of measurements and off it went 6 weeks later i am diving my custom made dry suit and loving it. Perfect fit!

After you get your new suit on line all you have to do is order an air fill on line..... oops! I forgot you cant do that. Gear sales are the only way most shops make money. If you think there is a profit in a 5 dollar air fill try again.

I am not employed by a dive shop nor do I own one, but I do use compressed gas when I dive and feel that if I dont help support my LDS with buying gear the cost of air is going st sky rocket. They have to make a buck somewhere.

I would've bought the used dry suit one of the shop instructors acquired, but alas, I'd have to spend lots of time jumping off buildings in order to make myself short enough to fit in it. Instead, I found a great deal on what basically amounts to a new old stock clearance drysuit online. On paper, it fits perfectly, but I'll just have to see when it gets here.

I'd have ordered through my LDS, but it would've been double or triple the price, and the shop owner would rather I get a cheaper dry suit and give him my money for other things that I also need. If the suit doesn't fit, of course, I'll end up having to order a custom suit, which will likely be through my LDS (and not for at least another year, as it would be too far over budget for this winter).

UWupnorth:
After you get your new suit on line all you have to do is order an air fill on line..... oops! I forgot you cant do that. Gear sales are the only way most shops make money. If you think there is a profit in a 5 dollar air fill try again.

I am not employed by a dive shop nor do I own one, but I do use compressed gas when I dive and feel that if I dont help support my LDS with buying gear the cost of air is going st sky rocket. They have to make a buck somewhere.

I'm not here to fund my fills by paying too much for everything else. :no

That's what new divers are for.

Duh... :rolleyes:

---
Ken

Mo2vation:
I'm not here to fund my fills by paying too much for everything else. :no

That's what new divers are for.

Duh... :rolleyes:

---
Ken
LOL..so true.

online or not get a custom cut, it is so worth it....

USIA has a sizing video you can view on their website.

Got my drysuit from divetank.com after a long drawn out attempt to get one from my LDS (long story not worthy of printing). Fit great, but the boots were too big. I sent it back and they fixed it free of charge. I have since sent 3 friends to them and all have been very happy with the service.

Oh yeah, they were priced several hundred dollars below what my LDS could do. I don't mind paying a few extra bucks to my LDS, but a few hundred without a gauranteed fit (which divetank.com has) and a shorter warranty does not make any sense.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom