Buying dry suits online

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cerich:
online or not get a custom cut, it is so worth it....

USIA has a sizing video you can view on their website.

Unless you fit OTR... then its so NOT worth it.

And you can't tell until you try one on. A DUI Medium CLX450 is cut to fit much tighter (they were until recently) than a Medium TLS350... even though the measurements on the DUI site are the same.

You gotta try it on.

Only then will you really know if you need to go through the drama of ordering a custom suit.

---
Ken

Mo2vation:
Unless you fit OTR... then its so NOT worth it.

And you can't tell until you try one on. A DUI Medium CLX450 is cut to fit much tighter (they were until recently) than a Medium TLS350... even though the measurements on the DUI site are the same.

You gotta try it on.

Only then will you really know if you need to go through the drama of ordering a custom suit.

---
Ken

I'm pretty much OTR size, but with custom I can get a better cut in the legs and more room in shoulders for tech/cave diving.

Depend on teh manuf, some charge $400 for custon, others $200 that includes custom cut undergarmets.

cerich:
I'm pretty much OTR size, but with custom I can get a better cut in the legs and more room in shoulders for tech/cave diving.

Depend on teh manuf, some charge $400 for custon, others $200 that includes custom cut undergarmets.

But I hear ya. If you believe a stock is too flappy for you, rock on.

Unless I was a BIG guy, I wouldn't get a custom cut. You'll have a much better resale audience buying a stock item. There are a lot of big divers, so you have a good resale market there for a custom. But of you're close to or spot on to an OTR, get it.

Unless you're planning on keeping it until the zipper falls out. I know that I own nothing - I'm just renting it for a bit until I flip it on eBay. So everything I buy is bought with that in mind.

Its the reason I engrave nothing, and try to get everything in stock sizes. Makes it easier to flip and keep myself in a constant supply of newer gear.

YMMV.

---
Ken

UWupnorth:
I am not employed by a dive shop nor do I own one but...

But you are a DM and future instructor in Alaska and that means you are more than likely tied to one dive shop. I guess I won't be buying online from your LDS in Alaska. Too bad. I would if the prices were decent and if they had a web page. Maybe they should consider it. How many diving customers does Alaska have anyway?

Nonetheless I am glad you like your LDS UWupnorth. If they make you happy, then no complaints here. That's awesome. However, your LDS isn't our LDS. Don't assume every LDS gives the same great business you claim to get from yours.

All that said, I vote for trying some on as well. Those size charts are funny (my body isn't the same shape as yours) and even if you do order a custom fit your LDS might mess up the sizing too. It has happened many times. Watch the video link that Cerich mentioned for sizing instructions! It can be tricky without a little help. ALso, many online shops will send you some options to try on and treat you in a very "local" way. Every dive shop I shop in is local, from NYC to Europe, thanks to the internet.:D

joeabroad:
Is it a bad idea to buy a dry suit online? This question is coming from someone used to a 7mm wetsuit but getting tired of it. I haven't begun looking too carefully at my options yet, but I'm wondering how important it is to have someone there to trim the seals, etc. of the dry suit. I bought my wetsuits online but sizing wasn't easy--I had to return a couple before I found the right fit.

No. Could be a very good idea.
I was considering a custom Apollo dry from a lds but instead pulled the trigger on a Dacor closeout online from Larry @ ST. Was very lucky. 1/4 the price of the Apollo and fits like a glove (I figured if it didnt fit me, it would fit ebay)

UWupnorth:
After you get your new suit on line all you have to do is order an air fill on line..... oops! I forgot you cant do that. Gear sales are the only way most shops make money. If you think there is a profit in a 5 dollar air fill try again.

I am not employed by a dive shop nor do I own one, but I do use compressed gas when I dive and feel that if I dont help support my LDS with buying gear the cost of air is going st sky rocket. They have to make a buck somewhere.

No, the online air-fills are now a possibility :14:
http://www.diveriteexpress.com/gas/etherfill.shtml
it just depends on your up/down link speed.... :D

If you are looking for info to help you select this is suppose to be a good one
http://hammerheadpress.com/pages/drysuitDVD.html

I just ordered the dvd and the book was also highly recommended.

DUI has great opportunities to try out drysuits at their rallies. It was worth it to see how differently the suits felt and fit.
http://www.dui-online.com/dog_main.html

Bought my first dry suit from DiveTank.com on-line. Richard was exceedingly helpful in fitting me to a suit.

I received the suit and can't be more satisfied! The fit is perfect and the customer service and support was without equal.

the K

Mo2vation:
I'm not here to fund my fills by paying too much for everything else. :no

That's what new divers are for.

Duh... :rolleyes:

---
Ken

Awww man!

- Signed, A Newbie

Izu:
No. Could be a very good idea.
I was considering a custom Apollo dry from a lds but instead pulled the trigger on a Dacor closeout online from Larry @ ST. Was very lucky. 1/4 the price of the Apollo and fits like a glove (I figured if it didnt fit me, it would fit ebay)

I did the same thing, but it didn't fit like a glove. I'm considering wether to sell it, or experiment with altering it.

Personally go I'd go to my LDS. Regulators, Dive Computers, Lift bags etc I'd probably get online, if I was happy to wait about 3 months to get it in SA, but stuff that needs to fit right is best bought from my LDS. Plus when the seals go, and they will, I'd rather go to my LDS for that too. Besides if you get the fit wrong and then need to send it back a few times that can be quite painful. At least from your LDS this process should be easier or at least you would think it would be easier. I guess that depends if your LDS is worth supporting I know mine is.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom