Buying a used dry suit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

archer1960

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm wondering about a reasonable price for a used dry suit. An LDS near me has a used White Fusion One suit for sale. They say it has been used 4 times, and another source (not this shop) says it's probably a salesman's demo. It looks like it's basically new, the seals appear to be intact, and the rubber feels like it's in good shape. It's the correct size for me according to the size chart on the internet, and it includes undergarments.

He's asking $800 for the whole thing, and will throw in the cert for no extra charge.

Does that seem like a reasonable deal? It seems good to me, but I don't know a whole lot about this...

Thanks for any information or suggestions you may have!

I'm wondering about a reasonable price for a used dry suit. An LDS near me has a used White Fusion One suit for sale. They say it has been used 4 times, and another source (not this shop) says it's probably a salesman's demo. It looks like it's basically new, the seals appear to be intact, and the rubber feels like it's in good shape. It's the correct size for me according to the size chart on the internet, and it includes undergarments.

He's asking $800 for the whole thing, and will throw in the cert for no extra charge.

Does that seem like a reasonable deal? It seems good to me, but I don't know a whole lot about this...

Thanks for any information or suggestions you may have!

A good place to start on a used dry suit is 50% of the shelf price and then go down from there. What I would ask is what warranty will they provide on the zipper. The seals you as a new DS diver could abuse and cause a early failure but the zipper failure would be from storage or age problems. If they tossed in a 1 to 2 year warranty on the zipper I would say you are getting a good deal. DO not buy the suit if it is not a good fit it just is not worth it. Getting a good fit means you can get in and out of the suit comfortably and you can reach and stretch as you need to with out having it be way big on you. Too big causes a new diver to have bubble management problems.

Add up what the value is

DS cert 150 to 250
undergarment 150 to 400 depending on the type
suit ? you can look that one up

total divided by 50% for used suit and that is a good price to start.

Here is an example of issues with buying a used DS mind you I paid 100 for the suit it needed new cuff seals and I knew the belly leaked since it was neoprene and the PO had the torso lengthened which is fine I would have needed the extension anyways the boots were way to big and I had the boots changed it did not come with the dry glove rings so my lds is ordering the parts necessary for the dry gloves through si tech so far I'm into the suit about 225 100 for the suit 100 for the boots and 25 for aqua seal the cuffs I haven't gotten an exact price for bit we will say another 100 I will dive a few times with it testing for leaks and then may consider a p valve another 80 dollars give or take so all in all I will be close to 500 once all is said and done for this dry suit but I also know the PO and the zipper only has a few dives on it the most important thing are the zippers they need to be treated properly my lds owner instructor is giving me the course for free because I help him at the shop all the time he has also taught me how to change the seals as well as service a lot of my equipment I also solely go through hin for all my equipment because I haven't found a better deal anywhere else most things I order through him he may only mark it up by 1 or 2 percent his main income comes from servicing regulators and even that's cheap at 75 dollars a regular

The Fusion one was on sale for $750 for several months. The sale ended at the end of October. $800 for a used one does not seem like much of a deal.

Make a counter offer using the info above. Otherwise, let someone else buy it for their price.

The classifieds here on scubaboard are a good resource. My first drysuit was a wtb here.

Used and even new-clearance drysuit prices are all over the place. New or near-new White's Fusion suits - the front zip original style not the One - can sometimes be found here or on eBay for around that price or a little more. I've been watching them for the last 18 months or so, and have had a new one up for sale myself for several months for <$1000, without much interest.

I'd say this sounds like a decent deal if that's the suit you want, particularly if you find value in the cert offer and as well if the store will offer some warranty or other bennies. There are other shell suits in that price range as well.

For an actually used suit, especially one with discernible miles on it, maybe needing seals or with some repairs, it looks to me like they can often be found for 1/4 to 1/3 of normal retail if you can be patient. I spent 6 months looking for a used Pinnacle Black Ice and finally got one in top condition for about 25-30% of retail, off eBay.

Used is a great way to go! Most places won't give you any sort of "warranty" on the zipper, those are broken more by users than by age.

A used drysuit should cost $200-$500 depending on what repairs are needed. I purchased a suit for $450 in perfect shape, and another one for $250 that needed a pvalve added, and some holes patched up, but with a year of life left in the zipper and seals.

But a drysuit class? Not required down here, and worth a few hundred bucks for sure.

Good luck with a suit! Agree with the other guys that absolutely, a good price on a bad fitting suit is always a bad deal.

Thanks for the comments! What I'm basically getting from this that the price would be high for just the suit, but with the undergarments and cert thrown in, is reasonable. Not a super-great deal, but reasonable. Is that a fair reading?

These are now an Aqua Lung item. How old is it? I agree with post #2; about 50% of new is a good start point. If the suit is old then less and also as it is now obselete maybe drop a bit more.

What are the undergarments? Are they suitable for your diving? You will need some type of boots as well. And maybe new fins. See how much stuff you can get included for the price.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom